Republic of Korea National Red Cross
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The Republic of Korea National Red Cross (more commonly known as the Korean Red Cross) is a humanitarian organization that provides emergency assistance, disaster relief and education inside the South Korea. It is the designated South Korean affiliate of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.
When Emperor Kojong declared a decree to proclaim the formation of the Korean Red Cross, the society was founded in Seoul in 1905. The organization was recognized by the International Red Cross Society in 1955 and became the member of the International Life Saving Federation (I.L.S.F) on Saturday 11 November 1995. The institution has contributed to not only the dissemination of health-related skills and knowledge but also the protection of health and life to the public since 1949.
The Seven Principles of Red Cross
This principles apply to Red Cross in all country
- Humanity - The organization is trying to prevent and relieve agony of all people through international, domestic capacity. Red Cross's activity is protection of health and life and affirmation, respect for dignity of people. This activity stimulates friendship, interest, and cooperation of people in all over the world.
- Equity - International Red Cross activity do not differentiate people from nationality, race, religion, status and political side. It serves relief of suffering as long as individuals face dire situation.
- Neutrality - When the hostile action is broken out in any country, Red Cross do not participate in racial, political, religious argument for continuous trust of all people.
- Independence - Red Cross activity is independent. Although Red Cross of each country should follow domestic law, it should maintain autonomy based on principle of Red Cross.
- Service - As Red Cross activity is voluntary aid, it does not gain any profit.
- Unity - There is one organization in one country. Red Cross must be released to all people, and performs humanitarian service in whole domestic region.
- Universality - International Red Cross activity is helpful universal service through equal position and duty.
All activities are based on fundamental activity of Red Cross (activity in Korea)
- Therapy to relief work of the victim and prisoners of Korean War as military medical institution by Red Cross renegotiation. (negotiation about the prisoner in armistice talks, 1952)
- Aid for sufferers who get problem such as cataclysm, disease, emergency and many problems. (accident about collapse of Seongsu Bridge in 1994, collapse of Sampoong Department Store in 1995)
- Protection for foreign refugee who suffer from war or emergency.
- Build hospital, mobile clinic, emergency medical station and many sites for medical care.
- Aid for blood trouble through a blood donation campaign, management of blood bank and other things. (begins blood campaign first time in Korea, 1965)
- Many safety movement such as first aid, protection of water, mountain activity, environmental preservation.
- Domestic health care such as free cure, remedy for the disabled, and other treats.
- Education movement and adolescent activity.
- Operation of many voluntary service and community service.
- Dissemination of international humanitarian law and principle of Red Cross. (hold the conference of Asia and Pacific volunteer in 1995)
- Aid and mutual cooperation with international Red Cross.
- The continuous search campaigns for separated families, Red Cross movement and conference between North Korea and Republic of Korea.