The Republican Brain
|Subject||Conservatism in the United States, Republican Party (United States), Antiscience|
The Republican Brain: The Science of Why They Deny Science — and Reality is a book by the journalist Chris Mooney that is about the psychological basis for many Republicans' rejection of mainstream scientific theories, as well as theories of economics and history.
 Alissa Quart, in a New York Times, article cited two unnamed science writers who equated Mooney's argument with eugenics. It was criticized by American conservative Jonah Goldberg, who tried to associate it with "conservative phrenology". Mooney responded, stating that Goldberg had mispresented his book in several respects. Mooney also stated that Goldberg exhibited "precisely the traits he seeks to deny: ideological defensiveness, a lack of nuance, and a deeply unwarranted and overconfident sense of certainty".  Mooney later rebutted a similar criticism by Andrew Ferguson and stated that Ferguson dismissed science himself while attacking the book.
Paul Krugman wrote in The New York Times that Mooney makes a good point: the personality traits associated with modern conservatism, particularly a lack of openness, make the modern Republican Party hostile to the idea of objective inquiry.
- Climate change policy of the United States
- List of books about the politics of science
- Merchants of Doubt
- Politicization of science
- William R. Steiger
- Wilsdon, James (28 April 2012). "Political animals". Financial Times. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- Quart, Alissa (23 November 2012). "Neuroscience: Under attack". The New York Times. Retrieved 2014-04-24.
- Goldberg, Jonah (30 April 2012). "Republicans have bad brains?". USA Today (Column).
- Mooney, Chris (3 May 2012). "Goldberg misunderstands Republican Brain". Letters. USA Today.
- Mooney, Chris (14 May 2012). "The Weekly Standard slams The Republican Brain". Science Progress.
- Krugman, Paul (19 November 2012). "Views differ on age of planet". The New York Times. Retrieved 2014-04-24.
- Chris C. Mooney, personal website
- Chris Mooney – The Republican Brain, Interview, Point of Inquiry
- on YouTube
- Diagnosing the Republican Brain, Mother Jones
|This article about a book on politics of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|