The Resistance Banker
|The Resistance Banker|
|Directed by||Joram Lürsen|
|Written by||Marieke van der Pol|
Thomas van der Ree
|Music by||Merlijn Snitker|
|Cinematography||Mark van Aller|
|Edited by||Peter Alderliesten|
|Distributed by||Dutch FilmWorks|
|Box office||$4 million|
The Resistance Banker (Dutch: Bankier van het Verzet) is a 2018 Dutch World-War-II-period drama film directed by Joram Lürsen. The film is based on the life of banker Walraven van Hall, who financed the Dutch resistance during the Second World War. The film is reported to have become the most visited Dutch film of 2018 and was nominated for eleven Golden Calves, the first time a film received so many nominations for the award. It won four Golden Calves, among them the prize for Best Film and Best Actor.  The film was also selected as the Dutch entry for the Best Foreign Language Film category at the 91st Academy Awards, but it was not nominated.
The Resistance Banker is based on the true story of the Dutch banker Walraven van Hall (Barry Atsma), a man who, witnessing the holocaust together with the Nazi occupation of his homeland, decides to finance the Dutch resistance with the creation of a shadow bank. Walraven van Hall uses the guise of a charitable fund to help Dutch sailors stranded abroad by the war to launder money into his shadow bank. As the war continues, the needs of the resistance increase. Nazi leaders grow closer to catching van Hall. Van Hall decides to forge war bonds, secretly exchange them for the real bonds at a major bank, and then redeem them for cash at this same bank.
- Barry Atsma as Walraven van Hall
- Jacob Derwig as Gijs van Hall
- Pierre Bokma as Meinoud Rost van Tonningen
- Fockeline Ouwerkerk as Tilly van Hall
- Raymond Thiry as Van den Berg
- List of Dutch submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of submissions to the 91st Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- "Bankier Van Het Verzet". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- "Bankier Van Het Verzet (2018)". The Numbers. Retrieved 28 July 2018.
- "Golden Film for The Resistance Banker". NL Film. Retrieved 21 July 2018.
- Wilson, Jonathon (12 September 2018). "Film Review: 'The Resistance Banker'". RSC!.
- "'Bankier van het verzet' sleept elf Kalfnominaties in de wacht". volkskrant.nl. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- "Dit zijn de winnaars van de Gouden Kalveren - NU - Het laatste nieuws het eerst op NU.nl". www.nu.nl. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Dutch Oscar hopeful is WWII true story 'Bankier van het Verzet'". Dutch News. 6 September 2018. Retrieved 6 September 2018.
- Abbatescianni, Davide (7 September 2018). "The Resistance Banker enters the 2019 Oscars race". Cineuropa. Retrieved 7 September 2018.
- Roxborough, Scott (6 September 2018). "Oscars: The Netherlands Selects 'The Resistance Banker' for Foreign-Language Category". The Hollywood Reporter.
- "Netflix's 'The Resistance Banker' spotlights a covert hero of WWII". 18 September 2018. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
|This article related to a Dutch film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 2010s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|