The Reynolds Girls
The Reynolds Girls were a British vocal duo composed of sisters Linda (born in 1970) and Aisling Reynolds (born in 1972). They are best known for their hit single "I'd Rather Jack", which peaked at number 8 on the UK Singles Chart in April 1989, number 6 in Ireland, number 8 in the Netherlands, number 7 in the Flanders region of Belgium, and number 43 in Australia. It remained in the UK singles chart for 12 weeks. The sisters signed to the PWL record label after giving Pete Waterman a demo tape. Their single was produced by Stock Aitken and Waterman.
" ... AM/FM, all that jazz, we'd rather sing along with Yazz, what happened to the radio, they never play the songs we know ...." " ... No heavy metal rock and roll, music from the past, I'd rather jack,[clarification needed] than Fleetwood Mac, I'd rather Jack ... ".
"I'd Rather Jack" started out as a response to music critics who ignored the younger pop acts in the UK at the time, and to radio DJs who continued to play older bands on their playlists rather than Stock Aitken and Waterman songs. It was also a response to a perceived snub at the Brit Awards, where SAW acts lost out to more "mature" acts such as Enya and Steve Winwood. After their one hit, The Reynolds Girls were dropped by the label. A second single, "Get Real", was released but this failed to chart and the duo have not made any real media appearance since.
In a public poll conducted by Channel 4 in 2003, "I'd Rather Jack" was voted number 91 in a list of the 100 Worst Pop Records of All Time. In a documentary about PWL that aired in 2012, the people interviewed admitted that the single was indeed a tongue-in-cheek response to the critics, and in part did ruin the siblings' career after they'd recorded it.
- "Official Charts > Reynolds Girls". The Official UK Charts Company. Retrieved 2016-08-23.
- "The Irish Charts – All there is to know > Search results for Reynolds Girls (from irishcharts.ie)". Imgur.com (original source published by Fireball Media). Retrieved 2016-08-23.
- "dutchcharts.nl > The Reynolds Girls – I'd Rather Jack" (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved 2014-10-03.
- "Ultratop > The Reynolds Girls – I'd Rather Jack" (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved 2014-10-03.
- "australian-charts.com > The Reynolds Girls – I'd Rather Jack (song)". Hung Medien. Retrieved 2016-08-23.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 459. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "The Reynolds Girls". web.archive.org. Archived from the original on 2007-06-21. Retrieved 2009-12-24.
- Graham Kibble-White; Phil Redmond (2002-11-04). 20 Years of Brookside. p. 157. ISBN 9781842227640.
- "C4 - 100 Worst Pop Records". www.channel4.com. Archived from the original on 2009-12-16. Retrieved 2009-12-24.
- "The Hit Factory: The Stock Aitken Waterman Story" posted on YouTube by Lonnie Gordon