The Rhythm and the Blues
|The Rhythm and the Blues|
|Studio album by Jimmy Barnes|
|Released||28 August 2009|
|Jimmy Barnes chronology|
|The Border Mail|||
The Rhythm and the Blues is the fifteenth solo studio album by Australian rock musician Jimmy Barnes, released through Liberation Music on 28 August 2009. The album was produced by Don Gehman in Los Angeles and peaked at number one on the Australian Albums Chart for two weeks. The Rhythm and the Blues was Barnes' ninth solo album (thirteenth including his Cold Chisel records) to reach number one on the ARIA Charts, an all-time record for an Australian artist.
The album was touted as a sequel to Barnes' previous works Soul Deep and Soul Deeper... Songs From the Deep South. It features cover versions of tracks from throughout the late 1940s to the 1960s, with songs by the likes of Ray Charles, Little Richard, Ike & Tina Turner, Bo Diddley, Stevie Wonder and Nina Simone.
- "Red Hot" (Billy Lee Riley cover)
- "That's Right"
- "Hallelujah I Love Her So" (Ray Charles cover)
- "That's How It Is (When You're in Love)" (Otis Clay cover)
- "Keep a Knocking" (Little Richard cover)
- "Reconsider Me"
- "Shake Rattle & Roll"
- "Rockin' Pneumonia"
- "A Fool in Love" (Ike & Tina Turner cover)
- "You Can't Judge a Book" (Bo Diddley cover)
- "I Was Made to Love Her" (Stevie Wonder cover)
- "Young Blood" (The Coasters cover)
- "My Baby Just Cares for Me" (Nina Simone cover)
- "Sea Cruise"
|Chart (2009)||Peak position|
|Australian Albums Chart||1|
|ARIA Albums Chart||36|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Jimmy Barnes — Vocals, guitar
- Julie Delgardo — Vocals
- James Gadson — Drums
- Darrell Leonard — Trumpet
- Reggie McBride — Bass
- Tom Peterson — Saxophone
- Joe Sublett - Saxophone
- Kennard Ramsey — Vocals
- Johnny Lee Schell — Guitar
- Mike Thompson — Keyboards
- Don Gehman — Producer
- Jamie Horne. "Jimmy Barnes - The Rhythm and the Blues". The Border Mail. Retrieved 2009-10-04.
- "Jimmy Barnes - The Rhythm and the Blues". Australian-charts.com. Retrieved 2009-10-04.
- McCabe, Kathy (2009-09-08). "Jimmy Barnes' The Rhythm And The Blues album debts at No. 1 - his ninth number one". News.com.au. Retrieved 2009-10-04.
- "Jimmy Barnes To Tour Rhythm and the Blues Band - Undercover.fm News". Undercover.com.au. 2009-11-22. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- "No blues as Barnes hits high note for ninth time". The Age. Melbourne. 2009-09-08. Retrieved 2009-10-04.
- "ARIA Top 100 Albums 2009". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 28 October 2014.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2009 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 28 October 2014.