The Riverine Grazier
The Riverine Grazier is an English language newspaper published in Hay, New South Wales from 1873. The paper absorbed the Riverina Times, Hay Standard and Journal of Water Conservation in October 1902.
The first issue of The Riverine Grazier was on 29 October 1873. The paper was published every Wednesday and could be subscribed to for £1 per year. It contained agricultural information, news and advertisements for goods and services in the area.
Its founder was John Andrew; it was purchased in 1888 by James Ashton M.L.C. (previously a compositor with the Hay Standard then a clerk with Cramsie, Bowden and Co.) and John Johnston O.B.E. (ca.1864 – 29 October 1939) who was previously an accountant with Cobb and Co. then branch manager for the Equitable Assurance Company, of New Zealand.
The following individuals have held the position of editor:
|Name||Term start||Term end||Ref|
|Gavin Johnston Snr||1939||1975|
|Gavin Johnston Jnr||1975||1995|
- "Riverine Grazier (Hay, NSW : 1873 - 1954)". Trove. National Library of Australia. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- "State Library of NSW Catalogue". State Library of New South Wales. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- "Trove". National Library of Australia. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- "Obituary". The Riverine Grazier (Hay, NSW : 1873 - 1954). Hay, NSW: National Library of Australia. 3 November 1939. p. 2. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- "Newspaper Digitisation Program". National Library of Australia. Retrieved 30 April 2014.
- Holden, W Sprague 1961, Australia goes to press, Melbourne University Press, Melbourne.
- Mayer, Henry 1964, The press in Australia, Lansdowne Press, Melbourne.
- Walker, R B 1976, The newspaper press in New South Wales 1803-1920, Sydney University Press, Sydney.