The Roads Not Taken
|The Roads Not Taken|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Sally Potter|
|Produced by||Christopher Sheppard|
|Written by||Sally Potter|
|Music by||Sally Potter|
A day in the life of Leo, who lives in New York City and is suffering from dementia. His daughter, Molly, comes to see him to take him to the dentist and the optometrist. While Molly struggles to help Leo with these appointments, Leo is reliving parallel versions of his life in his mind, including a life with his ex-wife Dolores in Mexico, and a time spent in Greece.
- Javier Bardem as Leo
- Elle Fanning as Molly
- Salma Hayek as Dolores
- Laura Linney as Rita
- Chris Rock as Adam
- Branka Katić as Xenia
- Milena Tscharntke as Anni
- Gerard Cordero as Police Officer Amenta
In December 2018, it was announced Javier Bardem, Elle Fanning, Salma Hayek and Laura Linney had joined the cast of the film, with Sally Potter directing and writing from a screenplay she wrote. Christopher Sheppard will produce under his Adventure Pictures banner, while BBC Films, HanWay Films, British Film Institute, Ingenious Media, Chimney Pot, Sverige AB, Adventure Pictures and Film i Väst will produce. Bleecker Street will distribute. Production began that same month.
In September 2019, it was announced Focus Features had acquired international distribution rights. It had its world premiere at the Berlin International Film Festival on February 26, 2020. It was released in the United States on March 13, 2020. However, due to the 2019-20 coronavirus pandemic Bleecker Street partnered with distributors to virtually stream the film on participating theater websites splitting the revenue beginning April 10, 2020.
On Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 37% based on 27 reviews, with an average rating of 3.62/10. On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 39 out of 100, based on 16 ritics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".
- "Robbie Ryan" (PDF). Gersh. Retrieved March 27, 2019.
- "The Roads Not Taken". Berlin International Film Festival. Retrieved February 11, 2020.
- "The Roads Not Taken". The Numbers. Retrieved March 17, 2020.
- Grater, Tom (December 10, 2018). "Javier Bardem, Elle Fanning, Salma Hayek to star in Sally Potter drama". Screen International. Retrieved December 10, 2018.
- Debruge, Peter (February 26, 2020). "'The Roads Not Taken': Film Review". Variety. Retrieved February 29, 2020.
- Wiseman, Andreas (September 18, 2019). "Focus Pre-Buys Key Int'l Territories On Sally Potter Drama 'Molly' Starring Javier Bardem & Elle Fanning; HanWay Closes Most Of World". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 18, 2019.
- "The 70th Berlinale Competition and Further Films to Complete the Berlinale Special". Berlinale. Retrieved 29 January 2020.
- "Berlin Competition Lineup Revealed: Sally Potter, Kelly Reichardt, Eliza Hittman, Abel Ferrara". Variety. Retrieved 29 January 2020.
- Lang, Brent (October 25, 2019). "Bleecker Street Buys Harvey Weinstein-Inspired Drama 'The Assistant'". Variety. Retrieved October 25, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (April 6, 2020). "Bleecker Street Teams With Exhibitors To Stream Sally Potter's 'The Roads Not Taken'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 6, 2020.
- "The Roads Not Taken". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 15 March 2020.
- The Roads Not Taken, retrieved 15 March 2020