The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy
|This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (January 2016)|
|The Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy|
Original Mexican poster
|Directed by||Rafael Portillo|
|Produced by||Guillermo Calderón (producer)|
|Written by||Guillermo Calderón (original story) and
Alfredo Salazar (original story)
Alfredo Salazar (adaptation)
|Music by||Antonio Díaz Conde|
|Edited by||Jorge Bustos, Jose Li-ho, Jack R. Remy|
|Distributed by||Cinematografica Calderon S.A|
The Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy (originally La momia azteca contra el robot humano) is a 1958 Mexican film directed by Rafael Portillo, starring Ramón Gay and Rosa Arenas. It blends elements of science fiction and horror. The film is the sequel to The Aztec Mummy and The Curse of the Aztec Mummy, both released earlier that year, and a large portion of the film consists of an extended recap of the first two entries in the series.
The film is also known as The Aztec Mummy Against the Humanoid Robot or Aztec Mummy vs. the Human Robot.
|This section requires expansion. (November 2011)|
The evil Dr. Krupp (Luis Aceves Castañeda), also known as "The Bat", plots to steal a valuable Aztec treasure from the tomb of a centuries-old living mummy, Popoca (Angel di Stefani). Krupp builds a robot to defeat the mummy, which has so far thwarted his efforts. Krupp's former colleague Dr. Eduardo Almada (Ramón Gay) and associates work to stop the mad scientist from completing his plans, successfully destroying the robot as Popoca returns to the shadows of the night.
- Ramón Gay as Dr. Eduardo Almada
- Rosa Arenas as Flor Sepulveda Almada / Xochitl
- Crox Alvarado as Pinacate
- Luis Aceves Castañeda Dr. Krupp
- Jaime González Quiñones as Pepe Almada
- Ángel Di Stefani as Popoca, the Mummy
- Arturo Martínez as Henchman Tierno
- Emma Roldán as Maria, the housekeeper
- Jorge Mondragón as Dr. Sepúlveda (flashbacks only)
- Julián de Meriche as Comandante
- Salvador Lozano
- Adolfo Rojas
- Jesús Murcielago Velázquez as El Murciélago
- Enrique Yáñez as Esbirro del Murciélago
- Guillermo Hernández as Esbirro del Murciélago
- Alberto Yáñez as Esbirro del Murciélago
- Firpo Segura as Esbirro del Murciélago
- Sergio Yañez as Esbirro del Murciélago
Production and Distribution
The film was shot in 1957 in tandem with its series predecessors, "La Momia Azteca" and "La Maldicion de la Momia Azteca". Much of its execution consists of flashback footage taken from the first two.
The film was released in the USA in 1958 by Azteca Films Inc. in its original Spanish language for, for Spanish-speaking American community audiences. English-language dubbing rights were subsequently acquired by entrepreneur K. Gordon Murray, who distributed the film nationally in 1964, on a programmed double bill with "The Vampire's Coffin" (El Ataud del Vampiro), as Young America Productions Inc. Subsequently, he syndicated it to TV, as one in a package of dubbed Mexican horror films which eventually gained a following in the US by their appearance on the USA Cable Network.
The film made its debut on DVD on Jul 30, 2002 where it was released by Alpha Video. It was re-released again on Mar 12, 2003 by Beverly Wilshire. It was later released with The Aztec Mummy Collection, a 3-disk set which included the rest of the films in the series. It was last release in 2013 and 2014 by Willette Acquisition Corp. and VCI Video respectively.
Contemporary reviews of the film, or other articles concerning it, have not been located
In postmodern times, the kids' TV program Mystery Science Theater 3000 razzed the film in a 1989 episode. The Canadian comedy series This Movie Sucks! featured an edited version of the film in its second season.
Other films in The Aztec Mummy series
- La Momia Azteca (U.S. title: The Aztec Mummy)
- The Curse of the Aztec Mummy
- Wrestling Women vs. The Aztec Mummy
- "The Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy (1957) - Rafael Lopez Portillo". AllMovie.com. AllMovie. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy at the Internet Movie Database
- The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy is available for free download at the Internet Archive
- "Mystery Science Theater 3000" The Robot vs. The Aztec Mummy (TV episode 1989) at the Internet Movie Database
- Episode guide: 102- The Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy (with short: "Radar Men from the Moon," Episode 1: Moon Rocket)