The Route of All Evil
|"The Route of All Evil"|
Dwight and Cubert's lunches getting sucked into a black hole.
|Episode no.||Season five
|Directed by||Brian Sheesley|
|Written by||Dan Vebber|
|Original air date||December 8, 2002|
|Opening caption||"Disclaimer: Any Resemblance To Actual Robots Would Be Really Cool"|
|Opening cartoon||"Heep Hep Injuns" by Fleischer and Famous Studios (1950)|
Having been suspended from school for salting the bully Bret Blob (who appears to have the same weakness as slugs), Dwight and Cubert find themselves stuck with their fathers. After the boys send the Planet Express crew on a fake mission to deliver pizza to a non-existent planet and generally annoy the staff, their fathers order them to get jobs. They decide to start up a company to rival Planet Express: a paper route. They become so successful that they take over Planet Express when it is discovered that the Professor was declared legally dead three years ago (he was really taking a nap in a ditch in the park). The name of the company is then changed to the name of the boys' delivery route, 'Awesome Express'. Humiliated, Hermes and the Professor leave Planet Express. Meanwhile, Fry, Leela and Bender brew beer inside Bender, treating the robot like an expectant mother.
Dwight and Cubert end up taking on too many customers and cannot deliver the papers. In a panic, they run to Hermes and the Professor to solve the problem. All the papers are successfully delivered; however, as they pass Bret Blob's house the boys admit that they broke his window last week. Hermes and the Professor take the boys to apologize. When Mr. Blob does not accept the apology and insults them, the boys' fathers take offense and start a fight. Blob beats them up, but later apologizes in the hospital. Bender comes in with his beers to enjoy, and everything ends happily except for Cubert and Dwight who are swallowed by Bret Blob.
- While Bender, Leela and Fry are buying beer near the beginning of the episode, one brand is called Klein's and is in a Klein bottle. One other brand on the shelf is St. Pauli's Exclusion Principle.
- Norm from Cheers appears as a background character in the liquor store.
- When Dwight and Cubert deliver the paper the first time round, they also deliver one to The Little Prince. He even yells "Au Revoir", after he is shot off his planet by Hermes in the end, referencing to the French origin of the novella.
- When Dwight and Cubert are being chased by the dog over the asteroid, an Exogorth comes up from the hole in the asteroid and eats the dog. This is a parody of the Exogorth trying to eat the Millennium Falcon in The Empire Strikes Back.
Broadcast and reception
- "Nielsen Watch: Dec. 2-8. (Programming).(television ratings)(Illustration).". Broadcasting & Cable (Reed Business Information). 2002-12-16. Retrieved 2009-03-07.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: The Route of All Evil|