The Rugby Channel
|Picture format||16:9 (SDTV)|
|Owner||Sky Network Television|
|Closed||31 July 2019|
The Rugby Channel was New Zealand's only channel dedicated to the national sport of rugby union. When live matches were not on, the channel screened classic games and documentaries relating to the sport. It was the only channel committed to showing all major matches in the widescreen 16:9 ratio popular with newer television sets, but from August 2008 Sky Sport changed to widescreen as well after My Sky HDi was launched. However, Rugby Channel viewers could exclusively watch the press conferences following major rugby matches, and could watch most major European rugby games as well. It also screened live and exclusive college 1st XV matches then replayed on Sky Sport later in the week.
The Rugby Channel closed on 31 July 2019. From 1 August 2019, all of The Rugby Channel's programming was moved to Sky Sport 1, making Sky Sport 1 a 24/7 rugby channel. The final program aired on The Rugby Channel was a documentary, Greats of Super Rugby: Christian Cullen.
- Television channels in New Zealand
- Defunct television channels in New Zealand
- Sports television networks in New Zealand
- Television channels and stations established in 2002
- English-language television stations in New Zealand
- 2002 establishments in New Zealand
- Television station stubs
- New Zealand sport stubs
- New Zealand television stubs