The Russell Hotel
|The Russell Hotel|
|Head chef||Pierre Rolland, Jackie Needham|
|Street address||102–104 St. Stephen's Green|
The Russell Hotel or Hotel Russell is a defunct hotel located at 102–104 St. Stephen's Green South in Dublin, Ireland. The hotel had a fine dining restaurant that was awarded one Michelin star in 1974.
In the first year of the publication of the Michelin Guide to Ireland and the United Kingdom, the Russell Hotel finally received its first star, after many years cooking and serving at high levels. Unfortunately, the final curtain fell on the hotel that same year.
The Russell Hotel was founded in the context of the "Temperance Movement". Founder Sir Thomas Russell, 1st Baronet (1841–1920) was a staunch supporter of this movement.
Sir Thomas's son-in-law Victor Marcel Charles Barrois de Sarigny conducted the hotel until 1929.
After the acquisition of The Russell Hotel by the Besson family, a number of French chefs were hired. The ITGWU (Hotel and Restaurant Branch) did not like this very much, due to the existing high unemployment, but quickly reached an agreement on the training of Irish chefs and kitchen staff. Many Irish chefs received (a part of) their training here.
In 1963, at the publication of the Egon Ronay Guide, The Russell Hotel was the only hotel in Ireland awarded three stars. In 1973, the hotel was awarded two stars, despite a decline in the number of stars awarded by about 30%. The Guide awarded the restaurant one star in 1974.
- Michelin Online
- The emergence, development and influence of French Haute Cuisine on public dining in Dublin restaurants 1900–2000: an oral history. Thesis DIT by Máirtín Mac Con Iomaire, 2009. 3 downloadable volumes. Volume 2, p. 343.
- The Cairo Gang website.
- Mac Con Iomaire. Volume 2, p. 214 and 215.
- Mac Con Iomaire. Volume 2, p. 253 and 280.
- Mac Con Iomaire. Volume 2, p. 269 and 270.
- Mac Con Iomaire. Volume 2, p. 346.
- Pierre Rolland: Ireland's First Michelin Star Chef. Mac Con Iomaire, M. (2004). Pierre Rolland: Ireland's First Michelin Star Chef. Hotel and Catering Review. Vol. 37, No. 12, p.45.
- The emergence, development and influence of French Haute Cuisine on public dining in Dublin restaurants 1900-2000: an oral history. Thesis DIT by Máirtín Mac Con Iomaire, 2009. 3 downloadable volumes.