The Ryland Inn
The Ryland Inn is a restaurant in Readington Township, New Jersey that won the James Beard Mid-Atlantic region top prize. It achieved great success, winning several awards and being visited during then-president Ronald Reagan.
The building was built sometime in the late 1700s by Colonel David Sanderson. Craig Shelton took over as chef and managing partner in 1991 at the age of 30. In 2000 Craig Shelton won the James Beard Mid-Atlantic region top prize for the restaurant. The restaurant, located at 111 Old Highway 28, Whitehouse Station, NJ, closed in 2007 after the discovery of a crack in the major load-bearing beam of the building and after a pipe burst in the basement causing flooding. Jeanne and Frank Cretella of Landmark Hospitality announced in August 2011 that they plan to reopen the Ryland Inn as a restaurant and banquet hall.
- "The James Beard Awards". New Jersey Monthly. April 2, 2010. Retrieved 2010-04-11.
A New Jersey chef hasn’t won the top prize in the Mid-Atlantic region (which includes Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Washington, DC) since Craig Shelton of the late Ryland Inn took the honor in 2000.
- Slaght, Veronica (April 8, 2009). "Ryland Inn site in Readington Township on the block again". NJ.com. Retrieved 2010-04-11.
Once a four-star restaurant with a garden for growing its own ingredients, it closed in 2007 after a series of setbacks, including the discovery of a crack in the major load-bearing beam of the building and then a pipe bursting in the basement.
- Eric Levin (February 4, 2008). "The Ryland Inn". New Jersey Monthly.
When Craig Shelton took over the Ryland Inn as chef and managing partner in 1991 at the age of 30, the idea of lingering three or four hours over a meal of many small courses was as foreign to New Jersey as wolfing down a hot dog is to France.
-  NJ Property Tax Listing
- showcase.com Archived 2011-07-18 at the Wayback Machine April 2009 listing of 111 Old Highway 28 - Formerly The Ryland Inn for US$3,799,000.
- Saferstein, Rosie (2011-08-19). "Ryland Inn to Reopen". Archived from the original on 2012-07-05. Retrieved 2012-02-06.
- http://rylandinnnj.com/ - Restaurant Website