The Saratov Approach
|Directed by||Garrett Batty|
|Produced by||Garrett Batty
Jake Van Wagoner
|Written by||Garrett Batty|
|Music by||Robert Allen Elliott|
|Edited by||Connor O'Malley|
Three Coin Productions
The Saratov Approach is a 2013 dramatic thriller film about the 1998 kidnapping of two Mormon missionaries in Russia. It began a limited release on October 9, 2013, solely in Utah. Subsequently, the film was released throughout the Mormon Corridor. On January 10, 2014, the film began an expanded limited release throughout the United States, achieving both critical and commercial successes.
The film tells the story of the 1998 kidnapping of two Mormon missionaries, Andrew Lee Propst and Travis Robert Tuttle, in Saratov, Russia. Their kidnappers made the demand of US$300,000 ransom from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in exchange for the safe return of the two missionaries.
The Salt Lake Tribune praised the film. The film was also praised by Deseret News and Meridian Magazine. The Standard-Examiner called the film "one of the best in the Mormon film genre". In the Bloggernacle, A Motley Vision gave the movie a B+ and the Mormon Movie Guy gave the movie a A-; saying: "The Saratov Approach isn't just great Mormon cinema, it's great cinema, period. It skillfully contrasts the darkness of greed and desperation with the ultimate light of compassion and courage. Even though faith in Christ is a key theme, this is a great human story that people will be uplifted by regardless of their beliefs."
- Young Mormon Moviegoers Have Faith in Real-Life Pic ‘Saratov Approach’
- Saratov to expand nationwide
- McBride, Erin Ann (January 24, 2014), ""The Saratov Approach" Breaks Records and Molds", Meridian Magazine
- Kidnapped Mormons freed from the BBC
- Kidnapped LDS Missionaries Release Movie of Experience
- Mormon Missionaries’ Russian Kidnap Story Made into Movie
- "‘The Saratov Approach’ director planned for movie 15 years ago". utahvalley360.com. September 30, 2013. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- Means, Sean P. (October 8, 2013). "Movie review: ‘Saratov Approach’ a moving drama of fear and faith". The Salt Lake Tribune. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- Terry, Josh (October 9, 2013). "'Saratov Approach' captures suspense of real-life missionary abduction drama". Deseret News. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- Proctor, Mariah (October 3, 2013). "The Saratov Approach: A Film that Finally Tells the Rest of the Story". Meridian Magazine. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- Salles, Steve (October 9, 2013). "'Saratov Approach' One of the Best in the Mormon Film Genre". Standard-Examiner. Retrieved 20 October 2013.
- Review: The Saratov Approach (B+)
- Review: Gritty 'SARATOV APPROACH' Will Inspire Audiences of All Faiths