The Scarlet Singapore
|The Scarlet Singapore|
The Scarlet Singapore
Location within Singapore
|Location||33 Erskine Road Singapore 069333|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||HK Hia & Associates|
|Number of rooms||75|
|Number of suites||5|
The Scarlet Singapore is a luxury boutique hotel located at Erskine Road, Chinatown, Singapore. The Scarlet Singapore was opened in 2004, comprising 13 Early Shophouses built in 1868 and a 1924 Art Deco building. It is affiliated to Small Luxury Hotels. 
The 80-room hotel is managed by Singapore-based hospitality management group, Grace International. The exterior was restored to its original state while the interior was completely restructured. The decor is predominantly gold, bronze and crimson, and includes rose-patterned furniture, chandeliers, and gilded mirrors. The hotel has two restaurants, a bar and fitness centre.
History of No.33 Erskine Road
The hotel incorporates No 9 to 37 Erskine Road which includes a four-storey concrete building which was constructed in 1942 and fourteen two storey 'shophouses'. The shophouses were built in 1868 and were the homes of Chinese immigrants until the 1980's when the first storey was used for retail. The shophouses were bought in 1988 to make a boutique hotel (The Inn of Sixth Happiness). This closed down and was bought by Grace International in 1997.
Grace International bought and renovated the site, spending 45 million SGD in 1997. It was again updated in 2013 and then in May 2014 the sister hotel, The Scarlet Huntington Hotel, in San Francisco was opened.
The building was awarded 2005 Architectural Heritage Award for restoring and preserving the older buildings. The Scarlet Singapore was listed on Condé Nast Traveler magazine's "Hot List" of 2005. The magazine praised its "extragant public spaces" but complained that some rooms were woefully small. In 2014, the hotel won Singapore's Leading Boutique Hotel at the World Travel Awards.
- Yang, Calvin (19 December 2014). "Social crowd still drawn to Ann Siang Hill". The Straits Times. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "The Scarlet Singapore - Luxury Boutique Hotels". Retrieved 18 June 2010.
- "The Scarlet Singapore, Luxury Hotel Chinatown, Singapore City Break, SLH". www.slh.com. Retrieved 2016-02-10.
- Conde Nast Hotlist 2005
- "3 TOP SINGAPORE HOTELS FOR VALENTINE'S DAY". Asian Interior Design. 13 February 2014. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "No. 33 Erskine Road". Urban Redevelopment Authority. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "The Scarlet". Mexico Explorer. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- Sell, George (11 December 2013). "Singapore's boutique pioneer The Scarlet reopens after renovation". Boutique Hotel News. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- Sell, George (25 March 2014). "May opening for San Francisco's renovated Scarlet Huntington Hotel". Boutique Hotel News. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- Kahle, Laurie (12 August 2014). "San Francisco's Historic Scarlet Huntington Hotel Debuts A Bold New Look". Forbes. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- "About Architectural Heritage Awards: 2005 Winners". Urban Redevelopment Authority. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- Vasko, Lydia (13 December 2015). "Singapore hotels go abroad". Straits Times. Retrieved 29 December 2015.
- Tropical Hotels: Thailand Malaysia Singapore Java Bali. Tuttle Publishing. pp. pt-230-237 (subscription required)
- "The Scarlet: Singapore Boutique Hotel Review". Yahoo! News (Singapore).
- Boutique Hotel Offers Different Kind of Stay". New Straits Times
- I Love it Here: South-East Asia. Quote: "The Scarlet Singapore is replete with five-star international chain hotels, but good boutique accommodation is rare. Only in the past few years has that niche opened up on the island, which is odd for a city that promotes itself as a modern, ..." (subscription required)