This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (March 2020)
|Company||LabX Media Group|
|Based in||New York City|
The Scientist is a professional magazine intended for life scientists. The Scientist covers recently published research papers, current research, techniques, and other columns and reports of interest to its readers.
The editor-in-chief is Bob Grant.
The main purpose of the magazine is to provide print and online coverage of the latest developments in life sciences research, technology, careers, and business. Subject matter covered by the magazine includes: groundbreaking research, industry innovations, careers, financial topics, economics of science, scientific ethics, profiles of scientists, lab tools, scientific publishing, techniques, product spotlight, and guides
In 2009, the magazine had layoff., and its owner, Science Navigation Group, merged The Scientist with a website, Faculty of 1000, for peer review and evaluation of articles in biology and medical journals. The Scientist moved from Philadelphia to New York in 2010.
In October 2011, its closure was announced but then the LabX Media Group announced its intent to purchase and continue publishing it. The Group officially acquired the magazine at the end of October 2011.
The magazine is published monthly and is available in print and digital formats.
Top 10 Innovations Survey
Since 2008, The Scientist has conferred awards for the top innovations in science technology: Nominations are submitted; entries are reviewed by a panel of judges; and the winners are announced annually in the December edition of the magazine.
The Scientist online
The Scientist offers a website that complements the print version by offering live science news and multimedia features, attracting roughly 1.2 million unique page views each month, according to Google Analytics.
Since then, The Scientist has launched special interest Facebook pages to share the latest research developments in different life science topics In December 2018, it was announced that some pages would be renamed and refocused for a more cohesive community.
The Scientist has won many awards, including:
- 2018 ASBPE Awards of Excellence, Top Ten Award, Magazine of the Year
- 2016 ASBPE Awards of Excellence, Bronze - Web News Section & another in Infographics
- 2011 Gold and Silver 'Eddie' Award for Best Business-to-Business Science Magazine, Full Issue
- 2011 Bronze 'Eddie' Award for Best Business-to-Business Single Science Article
- 2011 Silver 'Eddie' Award for Best Business-to-Business News Coverage
- 2011 ASBPE Awards of Excellence, Magazine of the Year
- Gold 'Eddie' Award for Best Business-to-Business Science Website in the years 2009, 2010
- ASBPE Awards of Excellence Magazine of the year, circulation less than 80,000 in the years 2008, 2009
- Gold 'Eddie' Award for Best Business-to-Business Single Science Article in the years 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- 2007 Nomination as one of the Top 10 Business-to-Business Magazines
- 2007 Gold for Best Publication Redesign
- 2007 Silver for Best Individual/Company Profile for Ishani Ganguli's "A Complementary Pathway"
- Gold 'Eddie' Award for Best Business-to-Business Science Magazine in the years 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
- Eugene Garfield delivered an essay about the foundation of The Scientist in one of his "Essays of an Information Scientist", see http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/essays/v9p249y1986.pdf
- Brainard, Curtis (October 7, 2011). "The Scientist Closes". Columbia Journalism Review. Retrieved 9 December 2021.
- "R.I.P. The Scientist. Economics Kills Another Magazine".
- Curtis Brainard (October 7, 2011). "The Scientist Closes". The Observatory. Columbia Journalism Review. Retrieved October 20, 2011.
- "LabX Acquires The Scientist Magazine". Lab Manager Magazine. 2011-10-26. Retrieved 9 December 2021.
- "Intent to Purchase The Scientist Announced". Marketwire. October 14, 2011. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- Curtis Brainard (October 18, 2011). "The Scientist Lives". The Observatory. Columbia Journalism Review. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- Grant, Richard P. (January 18, 2010). "Sarah Greene to head up The Scientist". F1000. Faculty of 1000. Retrieved September 16, 2011.
- "Top 10 Innovations".
- "The Scientist".
- "The Scientist Announces Merged Facebook Pages for Improved User Experience". Retrieved 22 July 2019.
- "Magazine Issue - July 2010 - The Scientist Magazine".
- "Magazine Issue - June 2010 - The Scientist Magazine".
- "Brain, Interrupted - The Scientist Magazine".
- "Manna from hell - The Scientist Magazine".
- "Twin disorders - The Scientist Magazine".
- "Where's the Super Food? - The Scientist Magazine".
- "Opening a Can of Worms - The Scientist Magazine".