The Search for Roots
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Original title||La ricerca delle radici|
M. C. Escher|
Sphere Spirals, 1958
Allen Lane (English)
Published in English
|Media type||Print (Paperback)|
The Search for Roots: A Personal Anthology is a compilation of thirty pieces of prose and poetry selected by Italian-Jewish author and Holocaust survivor Primo Levi as part of an abortive project by his original Italian publisher Einaudi to identify the texts which most influenced major Italian writers.
- "The Just Man Oppressed by Injustice": "The Book of Job", The Bible'
- "A Man of No Account": Homer, New Coasts and Poseidon's Son, The Odyssey
- "Why are Animals Beautiful?": Charles Darwin, The Origin of Species
- "To See Atoms": Sir William Bragg, Concerning the Nature of Things
- "The Pact with the Mammoths": Joseph-Henri Rosny, La Guerre du Feu
- "The Hobbies": Giuseppe Parini, "The Day"
- "A Deadly Nip": Carlo Porta, "Olter Desgrazzi de Giovannin Bongee"
- "Dystopia": Jonathan Swift, Gulliver's Travels
- "A Testing Time": Joseph Conrad, "Youth"
- "The Words of the Father": Ludwig Gattermann, Laboratory Methods of Organic Chemistry
- "Better to Write of Laughter Than Tears": François Rabelais, Gargantua and Pantagruel
- "A Different Way of Saying 'I'": Thomas Mann, Joseph and His Brothers#The Tales of Jacob
- "The Romance of Technology": Roger Vercel, Tug-Boat
- "The Dark Well of the Human Spirit": Herman Melville, Moby Dick
- "Survivors in the Sahara": Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Wind, Sand and Stars
- "The Curious Merchant": Marco Polo, The Travels
- "The Poet-Researcher": Lucretius, On the Nature of the Universe
- "The Jew on Horseback": Isaac Babel, Collected Stories
- "An Irrepressible Quibbler": Sholem Aleichem, Tevye the Dairyman and the Railroad Stories
- "Pity Hidden beneath Laughter": Giuseppe Belli, The Sonnets
- "Why We are Not Happy": Bertrand Russell, The Conquest of Happiness
- "We are the Aliens": Fredric Brown, "Sentry"
- "The Measure of All Things": ASTM D 1382 - 55 T, American Society for Testing Materials
- "Urchin Death": Stefano D'Arrigo, Horcynus Orca
- "TV According to Leonardo": Arthur C. Clarke, Profiles of the Future: An Enquiry into the Limits of the Possible
- "Before and after the Crime": T. S. Eliot, Murder in the Cathedral
- "Death Fugue": Paul Celan, Poems of Paul Celan
- "Tonie the Winterer": Mario Rigoni Stern, The Story of Tönle
- "Trying to Understand": Hermann Langbein, Menschen in Auschwitz
- "We are Alone": Kip S. Thorne, The Search for Black Holes
- "Afterword": The Four Paths of Primo Levi by Italo Calvino
|This article about a book on Jewish history is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an anthology of written works is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|