The Second Barbra Streisand Album
|The Second Barbra Streisand Album|
|Studio album by Barbra Streisand|
|Barbra Streisand chronology|
|Singles from The Second Barbra Streisand Album|
The Second Barbra Streisand Album is the title of Barbra Streisand's second solo studio album. It was released in August 1963, just six months after the release of her debut album, The Barbra Streisand Album, and was recorded in four days in June 1963 .
In 1963, Streisand told a reporter: "My new album is called The Second Barbra Streisand Album, because that's just what it is. Why should I give it some fancy name that no one remembers anyway?”
The album made its digital debut on CD in 1987 and was re-released in a remastered CD edition on October 19, 1993.
- "Any Place I Hang My Hat Is Home" was first introduced in the musical St. Louis Woman.
- "Right as the Rain" was originally performed by Celeste Holm and David Brooks in the 1944 musical Bloomer Girl. Tony Bennett also recorded a version of the song in 1960 for his album A String of Harold Arlen.
- "Down with Love" was previously recorded in 1940 by Eddie Condon's Orchestra with vocals by Lee Wiley.
- "Who Will Buy?" is originally from the musical Oliver! (1960).
- "When the Sun Comes Out" was originally performed by Tommy Dorsey in 1941.
- "Gotta Move" was written specifically for Streisand by composer Peter Matz. It was later re-recorded for the TV special Color Me Barbra and its soundtrack album.
- "Lover, Come Back to Me" was introduced in the operetta The New Moon (1928) by Evelyn Herbert.
- "Like a Straw in the Wind" is performed as a medley with "Any Place I Hang My Hat Is Home".
- On 8 February 1963, Barbra recorded Cole Porter's “Who Would Have Dreamed” from the 1940 Broadway show "Panama Hattie". The recording is still unreleased.
- A recording of "It Had to Be You" from June 1963 - the song was later re-recorded in November for "The Third Album" - the June recording is still unreleased 
- "Any Place I Hang My Hat Is Home" (Harold Arlen, Johnny Mercer) – 2:45
- "Right as the Rain" (Arlen, E. Y. Harburg) – 3:25
- "Down With Love" (Arlen, Harburg) – 3:42
- "Who Will Buy?" (Lionel Bart) – 3:32
- "When the Sun Comes Out" (Arlen, Ted Koehler) – 3:23
- "Gotta Move" (Peter Matz) – 2:01
- "My Coloring Book" (Fred Ebb, John Kander) – 4:11
- "I Don't Care Much" (Ebb, Kander) – 2:52
- "Lover, Come Back to Me" (Oscar Hammerstein II, Sigmund Romberg) – 2:18
- "I Stayed Too Long at the Fair" (Billy Barnes) – 4:21
- "Like a Straw in the Wind" (Arlen) – 4:46 (Though not noted, this a medley with "Any Place I Hang My Hat Is Home")
Bonus tracks
- "Happy Days Are Here Again" (Bonus Track 2014)
- "When the Sun Comes Out" (1962 version)
- "My Coloring Book" (1962 version)
- "Lover, Come Back to Me" (1962 version)
Charts and certifications
|US Billboard 200||2|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- Barbra Streisand: vocals
- Produced by Robert Mersey
- Arranged and conducted by Peter Matz
- Additional material by Peter Daniels
- Original recording engineers: Fred Plaut, Frank Laico
- Album cover design: John Berg
- Cover photo: Wood Kuzoumi
- Liner notes: Jule Styne
- William Ruhlmann. "The Second Barbra Streisand Album (Allmusic Review)". allmusic.com. Retrieved November 8, 2012.
- "Barbra Streisand – Chart history" Billboard 200 for Barbra Streisand. Retrieved March 29, 2016.
- "American album certifications – Barbra Streisand – The Second Barbra Streisand Album". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH