The Second Time Around
"The Second Time Around" is a song with words by Sammy Cahn and music by Jimmy Van Heusen. It was introduced in the 1960 film High Time, sung by Bing Crosby with Henry Mancini conducting his orchestra, and was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Original Song. It lost out to Never on Sunday.
Its theme is captured by its first two lines:
- Love is lovelier the second time around,
- Still wonderful with both feet on the ground.
Although Crosby recorded it on August 25, 1960, for MGM Records, it is especially associated with Frank Sinatra, who recorded it for Reprise Records on December 21, 1960. This achieved some chart success reaching the #50 position in the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Sinatra also recorded it again for Reprise on November 5, 1961, and April 29, 1963.
Jane Morgan sang the song on a 1961 episode of The Jack Benny Program.
- Basin Street East Proudly Presents Miss Peggy Lee, Peggy Lee, 1961
- Let's Face the Music, Shirley Bassey, 1962
- This Time It's Love, The Hi-Lo's, 1962
- You're Mine You, Sarah Vaughan, 1962
- Moon River and Other Great Movie Themes, Andy Williams, 1962
- Love Letters, Julie London, 1962
- Hollywood – My Way, Nancy Wilson, 1963
- Make Mine Swedish Style, Monica Zetterlund & Bill McGuffie Quartet, 1964
- Ellington '65, Duke Ellington, 1965
- Loads of Love, Shirley Horn, 1965
- Shirley Bassey at the Pigalle, Shirley Bassey, 1965
- That's All, Mel Tormé, 1965
- The Movie Song Album, Tony Bennett, 1966
- The Dealer, Chico Hamilton, 1966
- Grandes Exitos del Cine de los Años 60, Connie Francis, 1967
- Dusty... Definitely, Dusty Springfield, 1968
- Quintessence, Bill Evans, 1976
- It Only Happens Every Time, Monica Zetterlund & The Thad Jones / Mel Lewis Orchestra, 1977
- Rosemary Clooney Sings the Music of Jimmy Van Heusen, Rosemary Clooney, 1986
- Pop Pop, Rickie Lee Jones, 1993
- Manilow Sings Sinatra, Barry Manilow, 1998
- Romance on Film, Romance on Broadway, Michael Feinstein, 2000
- The Movie Album, Barbra Streisand, 2003
- Bolton Swings Sinatra, Michael Bolton, 2006
Frank Sinatra albums
- Sinatra's Sinatra, 1963
- A Man and His Music, 1965
- Portrait of Sinatra - Forty Songs from the Life of a Man, 1977
- Sinatra & Sextet: Live in Paris, 1994, recorded 1962
- The Complete Reprise Studio Recordings, 1995, song recorded 1960 and 1963
- Sinatra: Vegas, 2006, song recorded 1961
- Seduction: Sinatra Sings of Love, 2009 (recording date unknown?)
- Frank Sinatra: The Reprise Years, 2010, comprises 1963 and 1965 album versions
- "Metro Lyrics". Metro Lyrics. Retrieved January 29, 2016.
- Baker, Richard. "A Bing Crosby Discography". BING magazine. Retrieved January 29, 2016.
- Peters, Richard (1982). The Frank Sinatra Scrapbook. London: Pop Universal Ltd. p. 138. ISBN 0-285-62529-2.
- "Billboard". Billboard. Retrieved January 29, 2016.
- Cook, Richard. "Jazz Discography". Jazz Discography. Retrieved January 29, 2016.