The Second Time Around (Shalamar song)
|"The Second Time Around"|
|Single by Shalamar|
|from the album Big Fun|
|B-side||"Leave It All Up to Love"|
|Released||October 12, 1979|
|Songwriter(s)||Leon Sylvers III, William Shelby|
|Producer(s)||Leon Sylvers III|
"The Second Time Around" is a 1979 hit by Los Angeles-based group Shalamar. The song is the first single from their album, Big Fun. The single went to number one on the soul chart and was their most successful hit on the Hot 100 pop chart, reaching number eight in early 1980. "The Second Time Around" also went to number one on the disco/dance chart in January 1980. The song was produced by Leon Sylvers III, who cowrote the song with William Shelby.
In 1980, the band made a promotion of "The Second Time Around" for the radio station KJR in Seattle, called "The Sonics Came to Play," dedicated to the Seattle SuperSonics who had won the NBA Championship the previous year.
|Chart (1979-80)||Peak |
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||8|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Soul Singles||1|
|U.S. Billboard US Dance||1|
|U.S. Billboard Adult Contemporary||47|
- List of number-one dance singles of 1980 (U.S.)
- List of number-one R&B singles of 1980 (U.S.)
- List of post-disco artists and songs
- Ro, Ronin (1998). Have Gun Will Travel: The Spectacular Rise and Violent Fall of Death Row Records. Quartet Books. p. 40.
SOLAR (...), which grew out of an association between promoter Griffey and Soul Train host Don Cornelius, released a string of post-disco hits that included Shalamar's "The Second Time Around" and the Whispers' "And the Beat Goes On.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 520.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Hot Dance/Disco: 1974-2003. Record Research. p. 231.
- White, Adam; Bronson, Fred (1993). The Billboard Book of Number One Rhythm & Blues Hits. Billboard Books:Watson-Guptill Publications, New York. p. 267.
- Whitburn, Joel (1993). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961–1993. Record Research. p. __.