The Secret Life of Lele Pons
|The Secret Life of Lele Pons|
|Directed by||Alicia Zubikowski|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||5|
|Production company(s)||Shots Studios|
|Original release||May 19, 2020|
The Secret Life of Lele Pons is a biographical docuseries about YouTube star Lele Pons, produced by Shots Studios, directed by Emmy-award winner Alicia Zubikowski. The first episode was released on Pons' YouTube channel on May 19, 2020.
The five-episode series follows Venezuelan-American entertainer Lele Pons' battles with mental health issues, specifically centering on her Tourette syndrome and obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD). Pons was first diagnosed with OCD in 2010 when she was thirteen and living in Miami, Florida. Since then, Pons has risen to prominence through comedy and music.
The series pulls the curtain back on Pons' social media persona and takes an in-depth look at her day-to-day struggles with her conditions, capturing intimate moments of the Internet personality with her family and friends. The series explores some of the most emotional points of her journey—going behind-the-scenes as Pons broke down in tears during a record session in the studio—as she has tried to juggle her conditions, fame, and a personal life.
Production and release
Variety announced the series on April 22, 2020, and Pons shared a trailer on her YouTube channel. The series premiered on YouTube on May 19, 2020. The docuseries was filmed over the course of two years, starting in 2018.
The series is part of a slate of YouTube Originals launched during the COVID-19 pandemic to support the platform's Stay Home #WithMe movement, an effort to encourage social distancing through informative and entertaining content by notable creators.
- Spangler, Todd (2020-04-22). "Lele Pons Opens Up About Mental Health Struggles in YouTube Original Series (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 2020-05-18.
- Garcia, Kelsey (2020-04-24). "YouTuber Lele Pons's Vulnerable Docuseries Will Offer Insight Into Life With OCD". PopSugar. Retrieved 2020-05-18.
- "Lele Pons Gets Candid About Her Tourette's Syndrome & OCD In YouTube Docuseries". J-14. 2020-04-23. Retrieved 2020-05-18.
- Nanton, Brittney (2020-04-22). "YouTube Originals Launches New Slate Of Content Amidst COVID-19: Staying Home Just Got A Little Easier". Forbes. Retrieved 2020-05-18.
- "YouTube's '#WithMe' Social Distancing PSA Brings Together Emma Chamberlain, Casey Neistat, More". Tubefilter. 2020-03-30. Retrieved 2020-05-18.