The Secret of the Purple Reef
|The Secret of the Purple Reef|
|Directed by||William Witney|
|Produced by||Gene Corman|
|Written by||Harold "Yabo" Yablonsky|
"The Silent Reefs",|
1952-53 short story,
The Saturday Evening Post
by Dorothy Cottrell
Robert Earl Jones
|Music by||Buddy Bregman|
|Edited by||Peter C. Johnson|
|Distributed by||20th Century Fox|
The Secret of The Purple Reef is a 1960 20th Century Fox CinemaScope DeLuxe Color film based on a short story by Dorothy Cottrell entitled "The Silent Reefs". It starred soon-to-be-famous actors Richard Chamberlain and Peter Falk. It is a Caribbean based mystery involving the disappearance of a ship called the Cloud.
Although considered a "B" film, The Secret of The Purple Reef is notable in that it introduces Richard Chamberlain and Peter Falk to moviegoers as part of their early film career.
Brothers Dean (Richard Chamberlain) and Mark Christopher (Jeff Richards) show up in a mid-'50s four door Citroen Traction Avant in early era San Juan, Puerto Rico. They arrive to solve the mystery of the circumstances of their father's drowning death in the Caribbean. They run up against a gang of unruly pirates who seem to know more than they reveal. One of the film's highlights is several scenes of an E.G. Van de Stadt designed 35 foot sailing yacht, the Starwright. The vessel adds to the Caribbean charm and plays an integral part of moving the pirates to other parts of the island.
- Jeff Richards as Mark Christopher
- Margia Dean as Rue Amboy
- Peter Falk as Tom Weber
- Richard Chamberlain as Dean Christopher
- Terence De Marney as Ashby
- Robert Earl Jones as Tobias
- Gina Petrushka as Grandmere
- Larry Markow as Kilt
- Philip Rosen as Twine
- Frank Ricco as Henri
- Jerry Mitchell as Jerry
The story was published in 1953.
- Cottrell, Dorothy. (1952) The Silent Reefs. Curtiss Publishing Company. New York.
- Halliwell, Leslie. (1977) The Filmgoers Companion 6th Ed. Avon Books. New York. pp. 135, 249.
- Katz, Ephraim. The Film Encyclopedia (1979) HarperCollins Publishing. New York. pp. 222,400.
- The Films of 20th Century Fox 1st Edition. (1979) Citadel Press. New Jersey. pp. 322.
- Hass, V. P. (1953, Mar 29). A sea mystery of merit; suspense, villainy, heroism. Chicago Daily Tribune (1923-1963) Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.ezproxy.sl.nsw.gov.au/docview/178494141?accountid=13902
- FILMLAND EVENTS. (1960, Jul 11). Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.ezproxy.sl.nsw.gov.au/docview/167727205?accountid=13902
- Scheuer, P. K. (1960, Jul 12). Taboo in tel-aviv broken by dietrich. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) Retrieved from https://search-proquest-com.ezproxy.sl.nsw.gov.au/docview/167725251?accountid=13902
- Weaver, Tom (2006). Interviews with B Science Fiction and Horror Movie Makers: Writers, Producers, Directors, Actors, Moguls and Makeup. McFarland. p. 98.
- The Secret of the Purple Reef on IMDb
- The Secret of the Purple Reef at AllMovie
- The Secret of the Purple Reef at the TCM Movie Database
- The Secret of the Purple Reef at the American Film Institute Catalog
|This 1960s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|