The Serpent (TV series)
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Production company||Mammoth Screen|
|Original network||BBC One|
The Serpent is a crime drama miniseries developed by Mammoth Screen for BBC One and Netflix. It is based on the crimes of serial killer Charles Sobhraj. It premiered on BBC One on New Year's Day in 2021 and all eight episodes were immediately made available on BBC iPlayer.
- Tahar Rahim as Charles Sobhraj
- Jenna Coleman as Marie-Andrée Leclerc
- Billy Howle as Herman Knippenberg
- Ellie Bamber as Angela Knippenberg (later Angela Kane)
- Amesh Edireweera as Ajay Chowdhury
- Tim McInnerny as Paul Siemons
- Chicha Amatayakul as Suda Romyen
- Sahajak Boonthanakit as Major General Janthisan
- İlker Kaleli as Vitali Hakim
- Adam Rothenberg as Gilbert Redland
- Mathilde Warnier as Nadine Gires
- Supadej 'Kenneth' Wongwatanaphan as Yotin
- Ellie de Lange as Helena Dekker
- James Gerard as Jules Dupont
- Apasiri Kulthanan as Lawana
- William Brand as Ambassador van Dongen
- Chotika Sintuboonkul as Kannika
- Ryan O'Donnell as Greg Raynott
- Libby Jennings as Viola Raynott
- Raphael Roger Levy as Count Michel-Andre Jurion
- Fabien Frankel as Dominique Renelleau
- Alice Englert as Teresa Knowlton
- Tim McMullan as Douglas Cartwright
- Nicole Beutler as Dagmar Boeder
- Surasak 'Noo' Chaiyaat as Romyen
- Grégoire Isvarine as Remi Gires
- Ruby Ashbourne Serkis as Celia Austin
- Armand Rosbak as Willem Bloem
- Bussayarangsri Saringkaphaiboon as the Pathologist
- Dipika Parajuli as Live Goddess Kumari
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||U.K. viewers|
|1||"Episode One"||Tom Shankland||Richard Warlow||1 January 2021||6.04|
|Bangkok, 1975. Dutch diplomat Herman Knippenberg investigates the disappearance of a young couple who were last seen alive at the apartment of gem dealer Charles Sobhraj.|
|2||"Episode Two"||Tom Shankland||Richard Warlow||3 January 2021||TBD|
|Marie-Andrée Leclerc leaves her life behind for the love of Charles Sobhraj but discovers the chilling cost. Herman Knippenberg vows to investigate the murders of the Dutch couple Willem Bloem and his fiancée Helena Dekker.|
|3||"Episode Three"||Tom Shankland||Richard Warlow||10 January 2021||TBD|
|Young Frenchman Dominique Renelleau tries to escape Charles Sobhraj's terrifying lair. As he listens to Nadine and Remi's testimony, Herman realises the scale of Charles's crimes.|
|4||"Episode Four"||Tom Shankland||Richard Warlow||17 January 2021||TBD|
|Charles embarks on a terrifying trail of destruction in Nepal, while Nadine helps Herman gather the final evidence he needs for the police to act.|
|5||"Episode Five"||Tom Shankland||Richard Warlow||24 January 2021||TBD|
|6||"Episode Six"||Tom Shankland||Richard Warlow||31 January 2021||TBD|
|7||"Episode Seven"||Tom Shankland||Richard Warlow||7 February 2021||TBD|
|8||"Episode Eight"||Tom Shankland||Richard Warlow||14 February 2021||TBD|
Development and casting
In July 2019, the BBC announced that it had commissioned the eight-part drama from Mammoth Screen, Tom Shankland, and Richard Warlow. The series would be a co-production with Netflix, and Tahar Rahim would star as Charles Sobhraj.
Jenna Coleman, Billy Howle, and Ellie Bamber joined the main cast in September 2019. Warlow and Toby Finlay would write, Shankland and Hans Herbots would direct, and Warlow and Shankland would executive produce alongside Stephen Smallwood, Preethi Mavahalli, Damien Timmer, and Lucy Richer. 
Principal photography mostly took place in Thailand's capital Bangkok and in the resort town of Hua Hin in Thailand's Prachuap Khiri Khan Province  until late March. Filming resumed in Hertfordshire, England in August after a pause due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- "BBC One's The Serpent to premiere on New Year's Day". BBC Media Centre. 26 November 2020. Retrieved 9 December 2020.
- Sutton, Megan (26 November 2020). "The Serpent starring Jenna Coleman: What you need to know". Good Housekeeping. Retrieved 9 December 2020.
- "BBC Announces Epic New Drama Series – The Serpent". Mammoth Screen. 15 July 2019. Retrieved 9 December 2020.
- Keslassy, Elsa; Clarke, Stewart (15 July 2020). "Netflix Boards BBC's 'The Serpent,' Starring Tahar Rahim as Serial Killer (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 9 December 2020.
- White, Peter (8 September 2019). "'The Serpent': Jenna Coleman, Billy Howle & Ellie Bamber Join BBC/Netflix Drama". Deadline. Retrieved 9 December 2020.
- "The Serpent - BBC's International Crime Thriller Shot in Hua Hin". Royal Coast Review. 6 January 2021.
- Keslassy, Elsa (28 August 2020). "Netflix & BBC's 'The Serpent' Relocates From Thailand to London After Five-Month Pause (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 9 December 2020.
- Morris, Lauren (16 January 2020). "BBC One reveals first-look at Jenna Coleman's new crime drama". Radio Times. Retrieved 9 December 2020.
- McLennon, Patrick (17 December 2020). "See first look trailer for BBC One serial killer drama The Serpent starring Jenna Coleman". RadioTimes. Retrieved 19 December 2020.