The Serpent Is Rising
|The Serpent Is Rising|
|Studio album by Styx|
|Recorded||1973 at Paragon Recording Studios, Chicago; St. James Cathedral, Chicago|
|Genre||Progressive rock, hard rock|
|Producer||Styx, Barry Mraz|
|Singles from The Serpent Is Rising|
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
The Serpent Is Rising is the third album by American band Styx, released in October 1973, a mere three months after their previous album Styx II in July 1973. The album was reissued in 1980 with new artwork and a new title, Serpent. The band considers this to be their worst recording. Dennis DeYoung is indirectly quoted as saying it was "one of the worst recorded and produced in the history of music." Described as a loose concept album, the recording contains a number of sexual innuendos, including the title track, "The Grove of Eglantine" and "Krakatoa". The album peaked at #192 on the Billboard 200, their second-lowest charting album, and as of 2007 has sold fewer than 100,000 copies worldwide.
|1.||"Witch Wolf"||James Young, Ray Brandle||3:57|
|2.||"The Grove of Eglantine"||Dennis DeYoung||5:00|
|3.||"Young Man"||J. Young, Richard Young||4:45|
|4.||"As Bad as This"
|1.||"Winner Take All"||DeYoung, Charles Lofrano||3:10|
|4.||"The Serpent Is Rising"||Curulewski, Lofrano||4:55|
|5.||"Krakatoa"||Curulewski, Paul Beaver, Bernard L. Krause||1:36|
|6.||"Hallelujah Chorus" (from George Frideric Handel Messiah)||Handel||2:14|
- Dennis DeYoung – vocals, keyboards, accordion
- James Young – vocals, guitars
- John Curulewski – vocals, guitars, keyboards
- Chuck Panozzo – bass
- John Panozzo – drums
- Bill Traut – saxophone on "22 Years"
- Producers: Styx, Barry Mraz
- Engineer: Barry Mraz
- Cover art: Dennis Pohl
Album - Billboard (United States)
- Planer, Lindsay. The Serpent Is Rising at AllMusic. Retrieved June 20, 2011.
- Brackett, Nathan; Christian Hoard (2004). The Rolling Stone Album Guide. New York City, New York: Simon and Schuster. p. 789. ISBN 0-7432-0169-8.
- "Styx - Serpent". Discogs. Retrieved 11 July 2018.
- Koch, Bob (8 January 2011). "Vinyl Cave: "The Serpent is Rising" by Styx". Isthmus, Madison, Wisconsin. Retrieved 11 July 2018.
- Whitaker, Sterling (2006). The Grand Delusion: The Unauthorized True Story of Styx. S. Whitaker. p. 142. ISBN 9781419653537. Retrieved 11 July 2018.
- Harrigan, Brian (1980). H.M.-- A-Z. Bobcat Books. p. 74. ISBN 9780860019282.
- Styx - The Serpent Is Rising (1973) album review by Lindsay Planer, credits & releases at AllMusic.com
- Styx - The Serpent Is Rising (1973) album releases & credits at Discogs.com
- Styx - The Serpent Is Rising (1973) album credits & user reviews at ProgArchives.com
- Styx - The Serpent Is Rising (1973) album to be listened as stream at Spotify.com