The Shadow Factory
|Subject||National Security Agency, September 11 attacks, War on Terror, Iraq War|
|Preceded by||A Pretext for War|
Fort Gordon, Georgia
Bamford's book contains a description of a processing center at NSA's Fort Gordon, Georgia facility, and Operation Highlander, with which it was associated. The staff there analyzed satellite telephone signals (like Inmarsat) from all over the Middle East. They performed various operations such as matching up phone numbers with names of organizations or individuals, recording messages, finding the locations of cellphones, call chaining analysis, language identification and translation, and assigning 'importance' numbers to the "cuts" (recordings).
Bamford's book contains the statements of people who worked there, including Adrienne J. Kinne and John Berry. Berry says that the operation never violated Americans' rights and contributed a good deal to the war effort. Kinne says that they were listening to the phone calls of Americans in the Middle East making calls back to the States, including NGOs, aid workers, and journalists at the Palestine Hotel. Kinne contrasts her years of work before 9/11 in SIGINT and the careful attention paid to USSID 18 with her work after 9/11 and the way USSID 18 was essentially ignored. Kinne later became part of Iraq Veterans Against the War.
The NSA Inspector General and the US Army Intelligence and Security Command (INSCOM) investigated her allegations. They claimed they 'found insufficient evidence to support Kinne's allegations of improper intelligence activities'. Kinne says the NSA IG never even interviewed her. The Congress also questioned NSA and the Army about the matter.
- Christensen, Chris. "Review of The Shadow Factory: The Ultra-Secret NSA from 9/11 to the Eavesdropping on America by James Bamford." (book review) Cryptologia. October 2009. Volume 33, Issue 4. p. 356-358. ISSN 0161-1194, doi:10.1080/01611190903115150, Accession Number, 44192638. Detailed record at Academic Search Complete, EBSCOHost.
- The Shadow Factory on National Public Radio
- After Words interview with Bamford on The Shadow Factory, October 18, 2008
- Bamford, p 128-150
- New NSA Whistleblower Speaks, 7.7.1, David Swanson
- Adrienne Kinne, IVAW
- FOIA requests for NSA Intelligence Oversight Board reports, Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Did NSA Lie, Cover-Up? Senators Open Second Probe, ABC News, By BRIAN ROSS and ANNA SCHECTER, Oct 13 2008
|This article about a book on politics of the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|