The Shepherd's Life
|2 April 2015|
Rebanks writes that he was moved and inspired by another book with almost the same title, A Shepherd's Life by W.H. Hudson, who wrote about sheep-farming in Wiltshire in the early years of the 20th century.
Rebanks describes the traditional way of life of shepherds on the Cumbrian fells and vales, and his determination to continue to farm where generations of his forebears had done. After an unsuccessful school education, he studied for A levels in evening classes and graduated from Magdalen College, Oxford University, with a double first in history before returning to farming.
The book appeared in the United States as The Shepherd's Life: Modern Dispatches from an Ancient Landscape (Flatiron books, ISBN 978-1250060242). There is also a large print edition, with the same title, by Thorndike Press ISBN 978-1410484550. A German translation Mein Leben als Schäfer was published in 2016 (Bertelsmann: ISBN 978-3570102916
The book was adapted for the stage by Chris Monks and produced at Theatre by the Lake, Keswick, in March 2016. The theatrical production included life-sized puppet sheepdogs and sheep, with James being played by Kieran Hill.
- Carter, Helen (2 May 2015). "James Rebanks: The farmer and best-selling author of The Shepherd's Life on dealing with new-found fame - while delivering lambs". The Independent. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- Kakutani, Michiko (1 June 2015). "Review: 'The Shepherd's Life,' by James Rebanks, an English Sheep Farmer". New York Times. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- "The Shepherd's Life". Book of the Week. BBC Radio 4. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- "Herdwick Shepherd: The life that has transfixed 45,000 people". Magazine. BBC News. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- Gardner, Lyn (29 March 2016). "The Shepherd's Life review – gentle farming wisdom and animal magic". The Guardian. Retrieved 17 April 2016.
- Longstaffe, Stephen (20 March 2016). "The Shepherd's Life review at Theatre by the Lake, Keswick – 'entertaining and moving'". The Stage. Retrieved 17 April 2016. Includes photograph of puppet sheep
- Rebanks, James. "Could you handle life as a modern-day shepherd? (Book extract)". The Telegraph. Retrieved 17 April 2016.