The Shetland Times
|Owner(s)||The Shetland Times Ltd|
|City||Lerwick, Shetland, Scotland|
The newspaper is owned by The Shetland Times Ltd, a company which also operates a publishing arm, a bookshop and a printing company. The Shetland Times Ltd claims to have 55 employees.
Locally known as The Times, the newspaper was established in 1872 and costs 90 pence. The newspaper claims a circulation figure of 11,438. It was voted Newspaper of the Year by the (Scottish) Highlands and Islands Media Awards in 2006.
From February 2006 until February 2008 the editor was Jonathan Lee, formerly of the Aberdeen Evening Express. Lee left the Shetland Times following newsroom staff passing a vote of no confidence in his editorship. He was succeeded by Paul Riddell, a former assistant editor of The Scotsman.
The Shetland Times has a variety of sections, including:
- Smirk Cartoons – Local artist Smirk (Stephen Gordon) illustrates news stories, often with caricatures of local councillors and prominent figures.
- Times Past – Archive stories from that week 25, 50 and 100 years ago.
- Fishing and Marine News – Local fishing landings, tide tables, forecast and other related articles.
- Our Readers Views – Letters from readers.
- Births, Marriages & Deaths
- Wildernews – Wildlife in Shetland (by Jill Blackadder).
- Entertainment – Includes events that are on in Shetland over the coming weeks.
- Classifieds – Advertising section for readers.
- Property Sales – Includes some available properties in Shetland.
- STSport (also known as "Shetland Times Sport") – Sport news.
The Shetland Times owns, and is printed by, Shetland Litho, a printing company based in the same building as the Shetland Times Head Office in Lerwick.
The Shetland Times Ltd owns a bookshop (The Shetland Times Bookshop) located on Commercial Street, Lerwick. It is Lerwick's only bookshop and also stocks a range of greeting cards and stationery.
The Shetland Times Ltd publish a range of Shetland related books.
- Brook, Stephen; Kiss, Jemima (3 January 2008). "Shetland Times editor exits amid unrest". The Guardian. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- Staff (10 January 2008) "Lee ‘positive’ despite Shetland revolt" The Press Gazette
- Bevington, Pete (3 January 2007) "Shetland Times editor abandons ship" The Shetland News date is questionable
- Kiss, Jemima (14 February 2008). "Shetland Times appoints new editor". The Guardian. Retrieved 5 March 2016.