Oasis Academy Sholing
|Oasis Academy Sholing|
|Department for Education URN||146284 Tables|
|Head teacher||Mr Martin Brown|
|Age||11 to 16|
Oasis Academy Sholing, previously known as The Sholing Technology College and, before that, Sholing Girls' School, is an academy school in east Southampton, Hampshire, in the south of England. The school is for girls and boys aged 11 to 16 years. In February 2018 it was announced that the school would become an Oasis Charitable Trust academy in September 2018.
The Ofsted inspection that led to the academisation of the school was conducted on 17–18 May 2016. It downgraded the school from 'Good' to 'Inadequate' and recommended special measures. The report states "Underachievement has become widespread in core areas of the curriculum. Standards of achievement and behaviour have fallen significantly since the last inspection and leaders have not delivered recommendations made at that time. Consequently, governors and leaders are not demonstrating the capacity to improve the school." The headteacher of the school, Martin Brown, challenged the report.
The Middle Road school buildings originally housed a boys' school, but this was converted to a girls' school - then called Sholing Middle Road Girls' School - in the years 1910-1912. The buildings were further altered between 1914 and 1920. In 1938 the school was referred to as "Middle Road Senior Girls' School, Sholing" when Southampton Corporation were tendering for an electrical installation to take place there. By 1954, the school was named "Sholing (Middle Road) Secondary Girls' School" and Southampton Town Council were seeking tenders for a constructor to build a new annexe.
In February 2018, after nearly two years of negotiations between The Sholing Technology and Oasis Community Learning, it was announced that the school would join Oasis, and become an academy, despite an improved Ofsted report in late 2017. The school was officially re-established as Oasis Academy Sholing in September 2018.
- "School inspection report" (PDF). Ofsted. 6 July 2016. Retrieved 6 July 2016.
- Adams, Rachel (9 July 2016). "Sholing Technology College said it will challenge an Ofsted report after they were given the lowest possible rating". Southern Daily Echo. Newsquest. Retrieved 11 July 2016.
- "Sholing Middle Road Girls School SC/EN 4/1/13 1910-1920". The National Archives. Retrieved 21 November 2013.
- "The Electrical Journal". 121. 1938: 581.
- "The Civil Engineer". 8. 1954: 96.
- "TSTC to Join OCL" (PDF).
- "About Oasis Academy Sholing".
|This Hampshire school or sixth form college related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|