The Shores of Poker Flat, California
The Shores of Poker Flat
|Elevation||584 ft (178 m)|
The Shores of Poker Flat is an unincorporated community in Calaveras County, California. It lies at an elevation of 584 feet (178 m) above sea level and is located at , on the shore of the Tulloch Reservoir. The community is in ZIP code 95228 and area code 209.
It has been claimed that this was the locale of Bret Harte's "The Outcasts of Poker Flat". However, another area known as Poker Flat is in the northern Gold Rush area, near La Porte in Plumas County, and it is the latter that is usually recognized as the location of Harte's story.
In the state legislature, The Shores of Poker Flat is in the 8th Senate District, represented by Republican Andreas Borgeas, and the 5th Assembly District, represented by Republican Frank Bigelow. Federally, The Shores of Poker Flat is in California's 4th congressional district, represented by Republican Tom McClintock.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: The Shores of Poker Flat, California
- "Calaveras". California Historical Landmarks. Office of Historic Preservation, State of California.
- "Take your imagination to old La Porte" (Reprint). Sunset. July 1984.
- "Senators". State of California. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "California's 4th Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
|This Calaveras County, California–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|