The Shuttered Room
|The Shuttered Room|
|Directed by||David Greene|
|Produced by||Philip Hazelton (as Phillip Hazleton)|
|Written by||D. B. Ledrov
|Music by||Basil Kirchin|
|Edited by||Brian Smedley-Aston|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.-Seven Arts|
The Shuttered Room is a 1967 British horror film directed by David Greene and starring Gig Young and Carol Lynley as a couple who move into a house with dark secrets. It is based on a short story of the same name by August Derleth and H. P. Lovecraft. The film has also been re-released under the title Blood Island. Although set in the US, the film was shot in Kent and Norfolk, England. The film features a large, half-brick, half-timber watermill, which is destroyed by fire in the closing scenes. The building used was Hardingham Mill on the River Yare in Norfolk. 
Susannah Kelton, a newly married twentysomething who was raised in foster care in the big city, learns that her real parents have only recently died and left all of their property to her. She and her husband, Mike, travel to the island of Dunwich off the coast of Massachusetts to inspect the property. They find a local culture that is clannish, backward and ignorant. The few friends they make amongst the locals, including Susannah's Aunt Agatha, warn them that the family mill is cursed and urge the Keltons to leave immediately and never look back. Refusing to bow to superstition, the Keltons consider rehabilitating the abandoned mill. They become the target of a gang of local thugs led by Susannah's lecherous cousin, Ethan. Their reign of terror is ended by something still living in the shuttered attic room of the mill, something that caused Susannah nightmares as a child.
- Gig Young as Mike Kelton
- Carol Lynley as Susannah Whately Kelton / Sarah
- Oliver Reed as Ethan
- Flora Robson as Aunt Agatha
- Judith Arthy as Emma
- Rick Jones as Luther Whately
- Ann Bell as Mary Whately
- William Devlin as Zebulon Whately
- Charles Lloyd-Pack as Barge Master
- Bernard Kay as Tait
- Celia Hewitt as Aunt Sarah
- Robert Cawdron as Luther Whately
- Murray Evans as Gang Member
- Clifford Diggins as Gang Member
- Peter Porteous as Gang Member
- Anita Anderson as Susannah as a Child
- Mitchell, Charles P. (2001). The Complete H.P. Lovecraft Filmography. Westport: Greenwood Press. p. 185. ISBN 9780313316418.
- Smith, Don G. (2006). H.P. Lovecraft in Popular Culture: The Works and Their Adaptations in Film, Television, Comics, Music and Games. Jefferson: McFarland & Co. p. 51. ISBN 9780786420919.
- Vallance, Tom (11 April 2003). "David Greene". The Independent (London). p. 20.
- "Take a walk on location in the steps of the stars". Eastern Daily Press (Norwich). 7 June 2012.
- Schaffner to Direct 'Spy' Martin, Betty. Los Angeles Times (1923-Current File) [Los Angeles, Calif] 14 Mar 1966: c19.
- The Shuttered Room at the Internet Movie Database
- The Shuttered Room at the TCM Movie Database
- The Shuttered Room at AllMovie
|This 1960s horror film-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|