The Sign of the Beaver
|Author||Elizabeth George Speare|
|Genre||Children's historical novel|
|Media type||Print (Hardback & Paperback) & Audio Book|
|LC Class||PZ7.S7376 Si 1983|
The Sign of the Beaver is a children's historical novel by American author Elizabeth George Speare, which has won numerous literary awards. It was published in February 1983, and has become one of her most popular works.
The idea for this book came from a factual story that Elizabeth George Speare discovered in Milo, Maine about a young boy who was left alone for a summer in the wilderness and was befriended by a Native American, named Attean, and his grandfather.
The Sign of the Beaver tells the story of a 12-year-old boy, Matt James Halloway, and his father, who, as early settlers, together build a log cabin in the wilderness of 18th-century North America. Matt is left alone to guard the cabin and his family's claim of land while his father heads back east to pick up his mother and sister and bring them back to the cabin. Still alone, Matt gets the help from a Native American named Attean. Attean and his family help Matt survive while being alone. In the book he eventually gets his father's rifle stollen by a stranger named Ben.
- 1983 Josette Frank Award (won)
- 1984 Christopher Award (won)
- 1984 A Booklist Editors' Choice (won)
- 1984 Horn Book Fanfare (won)
- 1984 Scott O'Dell Award for Historical Fiction (won)
- 1984 An American Library Association Notable Children's Book citation
- 1984 An American Library Association Best Books for Young Adults citation
- 1983–1984 Young Hoosier Book Award (nominee) 
- The New York Times Best Book of the Year 
- Library Thing. "The Survival Story". Retrieved 26 Jan 2014.
- McCarthy, Tara (2002). Literature Circle Guide: The Sign of the Beaver. New York, NY: Scholastic. p. 9. ISBN 0-439-35542-7.
- Bank Street College of Education. "The Children's Book Committee: Past Award Winners (1943-2007)". Retrieved 30 Nov 2009.
- Library Thing. "Book awards: Christopher Award". Retrieved 30 Nov 2009.
- "Sign of the Beaver Lesson Plan". Retrieved 30 Nov 2009.
- Random House. "Teacher Guide: Sign of the Beaver". Retrieved 30 Nov 2009.
- Horn Book Fanfare. "Hornbook Fanfare's Best Books of the Year 1980s". Retrieved 30 Nov 2009.
- Scott O'Dell. "Winners of the Scott O'Dell Award for Historical Fiction". Retrieved 30 Nov 2009.
- "Young Hoosier Book Award History". Retrieved 30 Nov 2009.[dead link]