The Sky Is Pink
|The Sky Is Pink|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Shonali Bose|
|Produced by||Ronnie Screwvala|
Siddharth Roy Kapur
Priyanka Chopra Jonas
|Written by||Shonali Bose|
|Starring||Priyanka Chopra Jonas|
Rohit Suresh Saraf
|Edited by||Manas Mittal|
|Distributed by||RSVP Movies|
|Box office||est. ₹34.41 crore|
The Sky Is Pink is a 2019 Indian Hindi-language biographical film about the family of Aisha Chaudhary, a young woman who became a motivational speaker while suffering severe illness.  It is directed by Shonali Bose and co-produced by Siddharth Roy Kapur, Ronnie Screwvala and Priyanka Chopra Jonas under the banner of RSVP Movies, Roy Kapur Films and Purple Pebble Pictures. Starring Priyanka Chopra Jonas, Farhan Akhtar, Zaira Wasim and Rohit Suresh Saraf, the film marked Chopra Jonas's return after a three-year break from Bollywood and also the final appearance of Wasim prior to her departure from the industry.
Based on the love story of a couple spanning 25 years, the story is told through the lens of their spunky teenage daughter – Aisha Chaudhary, who was born with SCID and later diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis resulting from treatment.
Principal photography began in August 2018, and was completed on 11 March 2019. It premiered at the 44th Toronto International Film Festival on 13 September 2019, and was theatrically released worldwide on 11 October. The Sky Is Pink received generally positive reviews, with praise for Akhtar, Wasim and Chopra Jonas's performances. It emerged as a box office bomb.
The movie is told from the point of view of Aisha Chaudary about the emotional and physical tolls on her parents after they found out she has SCID. Aditi and Niren are a young couple who come from different backgrounds. Where on one hand Niren is from a grounded middle-class family, Aditi is from the posh end of the town. The couple are shown to be in love, with "an active sex life" as Aisha's narration describes.
The passionate and happy couple get married, and Aditi becomes pregnant with their first child Ishaan. Niren and Aditi have a second child, Tanya, who dies within months of her birth. Baby Tanya used to frequently become ill and, while Aditi was convinced it was a serious issue, Niren used to brush it off. Niren believed that negligence was the reason Tanya couldn't be treated sooner and blamed himself for the death of his child. As Aditi was mourning the death of her child, she was consoled by a Catholic church nun and decided to be baptised.
A few years later, Aditi bore their third child, another daughter.
- Priyanka Chopra Jonas as Aditi Chaudhary, Aisha & Ishan's mother
- Farhan Akhtar as Niren Chaudhary, Aisha & Ishan's father
- Zaira Wasim as Aisha Chaudhary, who becomes a motivational speaker while diagnosed with pulmonary fibrosis
- Rohit Suresh Saraf as Ishaan Chaudhary, Niren & Aditi's son and Aisha's brother
- Sammy John Heaney as Aisha's voiceover
Filming began on 8 August 2018 in Mumbai. The second schedule of the film began on 13 October 2018 in London and wrapped on 17 October 2018. It was part of the Delhi schedule which wrapped in the last week of November 2018. The filming is completed on 11 March 2019 in Andaman Islands A song was shot in June 2019 in Mumbai for the film.
|The Sky Is Pink|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||4 October 2019|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
|1.||"Dil Hi Toh Hai"||Arijit Singh, Antara Mitra||4:40|
|2.||"Nadaaniyaan"||Arjun Kanungo, Lisa Mishra||3:20|
|4.||"Pink Gulaabi Sky"||Shashwat Singh, Jonita Gandhi||4:09|
|5.||"Dil Hi Toh Hai" (Reprise)||Sreerama Chandra, Antara Mitra||4:41|
Marketing and release
The Sky Is Pink premiered at the 44th Toronto International Film Festival on 13 September 2019, and was theatrically released worldwide on 11 October. The film is set to have its world digital premiere on Netflix on the 11th December.
Devesh Sharma of Filmfare rated the film four stars out of five, lauding the film's ability to make viewers laugh despite its tragic undertone. He concluded, writing "this bitter-sweet film will make you laugh, will make you cry and will surely make you ruminate on the glorious uncertainty of life." Writing for Mid Day, film critic Mayank Shekhar rated the film with three and half stars out of five, praising Bose for telling an "astonishingly dark personal story with reasonable hope" that never felt exploitative or manipulative. He complemented the "smart" screenplay which he felt was structured to dive viewers "deeper and deeper" into the characters and circumstances on screen. Priyanka Sinha Jha of CNN-News18, praising Chopra Jonas, Akhtar and Wasim for their performances, and wrote, "The real hero in this instance, however, would have to be the zany uplifting story and to that effect, with The Sky is Pink, Bose delivers a fitting salutation to life." Writing for NDTV Saibal Chatterjee, rated the film with three and half stars out of five, and praised Bose for her direction and writing. Sreeparna Sengupta of The Times of India gave the film three and half stars out of five, praising the performances of Chopra Jonas, Akhtar and Wasim, she noted that the film scored high on the emotional quotient. She opined that though the film was lengthy and screenplay needed more focus, 'the emotional arc' and the 'stellar performances' kept the interest going. Concluding, she wrote, "The Sky is Pink is definitely a stirring watch." Teo Bugbee of The New York Times lauded Bose for achieving a balanced tone in the film, writing "The writer and director Shonali Bose bounces from tone to tone, livening the somber subject matter with bright hues, quippy dialogue and an ever-jubilant score."
Rajeev Masand criticised the film's "blatant manipulation" but added that "there are moments that left me with a heavy heart". Dennis Harvey of Variety too disliked the film and wrote that the "somewhat bland polish on all levels doesn’t much assist the raw pain that should be at this story’s center". Vinayak Chakraborty of Outlook rated the film with three stars out of five, criticizing the "flashback-driven storyline" and its runtime which he felt was too long at nearly two and half hours. However, he opined that the film still works with all its flaws. Anupama Chopra of Film Companion found the film to be "sensitive" but highly "sanitized". She wrote "The Sky is Pink is sincere and heartfelt but it never gets raw or messy." Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express rated the film with two stars out of five. According to her, the film only occasionally worked. She opined the film felt "both constructed and sentimental", writing "With the material at hand, you expect a legitimate heart-breaker but this one left me mostly unmoved."
The Sky Is Pink collected ₹2.50 crore on the opening day, ₹4.00 crore on the second day, and ₹4.20 on the third day, taking its opening weekend collection to ₹10.70 crore in India. Film earned ₹15.15 crore in its first week.
- RSVPMovies [@RSVPMovies] (24 July 2019). "An incredible love story that is ready to make place in your hearts! Proud and overwhelmed to announce the worldwide premiere of #TheSkyIsPink at the @TIFF_NET this year on September 13. See you in cinemas on October 11! t.co/ZCHpo5Tl1k" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "THE SKY IS PINK (2019)". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved 10 October 2019.
- "The Sky is Pink Box Office". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- Lawrence, Victor. ""Real Se Reel Tak" - The real face of characters in upcoming Bollywood Biopics". Digital World. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- "Priyanka Chopra's The Sky Is Pink goes on floors". Indian Express. 8 August 2018. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- "After Attending Nick Jonas' Singapore Gig, Priyanka Chopra Returns Home, Begins Shooting The Sky is Pink". CNN-News18. 8 August 2018. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- "Shooting complete for Priyanka Chopra's 'The Sky Is Pink'". The New Indian Express. 14 March 2019.
- "Priyanka Chopra's 'The Sky is Pink' set for world premiere at Toronto International Film Festival 2019". Times of India. 24 July 2019. Retrieved 24 July 2019.
- Sarkar, Suparno (10 October 2019). "Sky Is Pink movie review and rating: Critics can't stop praising Priyanka Chopra-Farhan Akhtar starrer". International Business Times, India Edition.
- Tuteja, Joginder (19 October 2019). "Priyanka Chopra and Farhan Akhar's The Sky Is Pink - A commercial flop that deserves better". Money Control. Retrieved 19 October 2019.
- Monteiro, Lynn (8 August 2018). "Priyanka Chopra's The Sky is Pink takes off today and here's all you need to know about the movie!". boxofficeindia.co.in. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- "Priyanka Chopra-Farhan Akhtar's next goes on the floor, shooting begins—See first pic". zee-news.india.com. 8 August 2018. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- "The Sky Is Pink: Priyanka, Farhan and Zaira begin filming for Shonali Bose's film". asianage.com. 8 August 2018. Retrieved 12 August 2018.
- "PRIYANKA on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 26 October 2018.
- "Priyanka Chopra on Instagram". Instagram. Retrieved 26 October 2018.
- "Rohit Suresh Saraf on Instagram: "It's a schedule wrap for #TheSkyIsPink. Thank you #London 🧡"". Instagram. Retrieved 26 October 2018.
- Lohana, Avinash (10 May 2019). "Priyanka Chopra to return to Mumbai to shoot for a song for The Sky is Pink with Farhan Akhtar and Zaira Wasim". Mumbai Mirror.
- "The Sky Is Pink – Original Motion Picture Soundtrack". Jio Saavn.
- "The Sky Is Pink – Official Trailer – Priyanka C J, Farhan A, Zaira W, Rohit S – Shonali B – Oct 11". YouTube. RSVP Movies. 10 September 2019.
- "The Sky Is Pink Box Office Collection Day 1: Priyanka Chopra And Farhan Akhtar's Film Gets A Slow Start". NDTV.com.
- "THE SKY IS PINK". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved 17 October 2019.
- "Movie Review: The Sky Is Pink". filmfare.com.
- "The Sky is Pink Movie Review: Cry bucket-loads; can't help". mid-day. 10 October 2019.
- Sinha Jha, Priyanka (10 October 2019). "The Sky Is Pink Movie Review: Priyanka Chopra-Farhan Akhtar Film is All Shades of Life". CNN-News18. Retrieved 10 October 2019.
- Chatterjee, Saibal (10 October 2019). "The Sky Is Pink Movie Review: Priyanka Chopra Lends This Unmissable Film A Starry Edge". NDTV. Retrieved 10 October 2019.
- Sengupta, Sreeparna (10 October 2019). "The Sky Is Pink Movie Review: An emotional, stirring watch". The Times of India. Retrieved 10 October 2019.
- Bugbee, Teo (10 October 2019). "'The Sky Is Pink' Review: A Story Told From the Grave" – via NYTimes.com.
- Erbland, Kate; Erbland, Kate (9 October 2019). "'The Sky Is Pink' Review: An Unusual Grief Drama Obsessed With the Possibility of Life After Death".
- Masand, Rajeev (11 October 2019). "Pain relief". RajeevMasand.com.
- Harvey, Dennis (18 September 2019). "Toronto Film Review: 'The Sky is Pink'". Variety.
- "The Sky Is Pink: Sensitive but Soppy (IANS Review; Rating: ***)". Out look India.
- "The Sky Is Pink Review By Anupama Chopra: A Sincere Yet Sanitised Look At Extreme Anguish". 11 October 2019.
- "The Sky Is Pink movie review: The colour barely seeps into the film". 11 October 2019.
|This article about a Hindi film of the 2010s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|