The Slipper and the Rose (musical)
|The Slipper and the Rose - The Story of Cinderella|
Richard M. Sherman
Robert B. Sherman
|Basis||1976 Original Film|
|Productions||2001 Wolverhampton, UK
2004 Salt Lake City, Utah
2008 Cornwall, UK
2008 Tacoma, Washington
2011 York, UK
2011 Montreal, Canada
2013 Liverpool, UK
The Slipper and the Rose (sub-titled The Story of Cinderella) is a musical theatre retelling of the classic fairy tale of Cinderella. Originally made as a motion picture, the stage musical version was created in 1984 by Philip Burley. It runs for approximately two and a half hours over two acts and an intermission.
Based on the original Cinderella fairy-tale, the story revolves around a central theme of love between Prince Edward of Euphrania and Cinderella. There are also elements of wish fulfillment notably conveyed through the character of the Fairy Godmother.
The story begins with Edward's unsuccessful search for a bride and ends with love fulfilled as Prince Edward and Cinderella marry. The plot contains many elements from the well known Cinderella story (a bride-finding ball, fitting the slipper for example), with additional twists (a betrayal).
Synopsis of Scenes
This musical production has been run many times on the British stage. Notably in 2001 by the Bilston Operatic Company, Wolverhampton, in May 2008 at the Minack Theatre in Cornwall, in April 2011 at the York Theatre Royal, and most recently in November 2013 by BOST Musicals at the Liverpool Empire Theatre.
It made its US premiere in February, 2004 at the Hale Center Theater in Salt Lake City, Utah. A production was also put on in Nov.-Dec. 2008 at the Tacoma Musical Playhouse in Tacoma, Washington.
- David Spicer Productions, Australia. Retrieved June 6th, 2011
- Bilston Operatic Company. Retrieved May 22nd 2011
- The Minack Theatre, Cornwall, UK. Retrieved May 22nd, 2011
- York Theatre Royal. Retrieved May 22nd, 2011
- BOST Musicals. Retrieved November 13th, 2013
- Les Productions Coracole. Retrieved May 28th, 2011
- The Slipper and the Rose at the Internet Movie Database
- Information from the National Operatic and Dramatic Association (NODA)
- Bilston Operatic Company
- York Theatre Royal
- Les Productions Coracole (Montreal, Canada) website showcasing their recent presentation of The Slipper and the Rose.
- The Slipper and the Rose fan site
- Reference at guidetomusicaltheatre.com