The Sloop Inn
|Location||St Ives, Cornwall, England|
The Sloop Inn is an inn in St Ives, Cornwall, England, located on the wharf. It is one of the oldest inns in Cornwall, the public house is dated to "circa 1312" although the present building was built in the 17th or 18th century. Made of granite rubble, with a slate roof, the Sloop Inn was the favourite haunt of Victorian artists including Louis Grier and many of his paintings hung there in earlier years.
Today the public house is a traditional bar, with low ceilings but with an outside decking area. It also includes accommodation for guests.
The present building dates from the 17th or 18th century, but the public house is dated to "circa 1312". The inn is one of the oldest surviving in Cornwall, possibly in the United Kingdom, and was popular with artists during the Victorian era, with one commentator stating that the artists and fisherman got on well together. One particular artist who enjoyed the atmosphere was Louis Grier, who had many paintings hung there.
Today, the public house is described in the Lonely Planet guide as "A classic old fishermen's boozer, complete with low ceilings, tankards behind the bar and a comprehensive selection of Cornish ales." It has accommodation for guests, as well as an outside upper deck bar.
Set on the Wharf at St. Ives, the building is set over two storeys, and built between the 17th or 18th centuries. The roof is made of slate with a flat headed dormer and a single chimney stack. The building is made of colour-washed granite rubble stone and has a tarred plinth. The inn was designated a Grade II listed building as a group with the nearby cottages in Back Lane, listed on 4 June 1952.
- "The Sloop Inn, St Ives". British Listed Buildings. Retrieved 16 October 2010.
- Else, David (2003). Britain. Lonely Planet. p. 409. ISBN 978-1-74059-338-0. Retrieved 16 October 2011.
- Harris, Terry L. Living Vicariously: Traveling Through Great Britain - Stories, Conversations, a Guide, Bits & Bobs. Lulu.com. p. 87. ISBN 9781329538016.
- Whybrow, Marion (1994). St Ives, 1883-1993: portrait of an art colony. Antique Collectors' Club. ISBN 978-1-85149-170-4. Retrieved 16 October 2011.
- Else, David (1 March 2009). England. Lonely Planet. p. 419. ISBN 978-1-74104-590-1. Retrieved 16 October 2011.
- "Our Rooms › Sloop Inn, St Ives, Cornwall ‹ One of Cornwall's Oldest & Most Famous Inns". www.sloop-inn.co.uk. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "Travel review: Beautiful St Ives is truly a sight for sore eyes". www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk. 6 October 2013. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sloop Inn, St Ives.|