Simon Goddard (born Cardiff, 21 December 1971) is a British author and music journalist.
Though a writer by profession, Goddard originally trained at art college and briefly considered a career in visual media. In 1995 he directed his one and only pop promo for Edwyn Collins (the subject of one of his future books, Simply Thrilled). He started freelance writing the following year and eventually found regular work as a music journalist in London.
His first two books, Songs That Saved Your Life and Mozipedia, established his initial reputation as an authority on The Smiths and their former lead singer Morrissey. Since the latter’s publication in 2009, Goddard’s writing style and choice of subjects has broadened considerably, taking a frequently unorthodox approach to popular music subjects. Ziggyology (2013) presented an evolutionary history of David Bowie’s extraterrestrial Ziggy Stardust persona, taking as its starting point the creation of the universe itself. Simply Thrilled (2014) was the first biography of the influential Scottish indie label Postcard Records written as a whimsical post-punk comedy of manners. Goddard’s most recent book, Rollaresque (2015), documents the early adventures of The Rolling Stones in the form of a picaresque novel.
In 2016 he supplied the accompanying words for photographer Tom Sheehan's deluxe collection of The Jam, The Style Council and solo Paul Weller photographs, Aim High - Paul Weller in photographs 1978-2015, published by London's Flood Gallery.
|Date first published||Title||Sub-title||Publisher|
|December 2002||Songs That Saved Your Life||The Art of The Smiths 1982-87||Titan Books (revised 2013)|
|July 2009||Mozipedia||The Encyclopedia of Morrissey and The Smiths||Ebury Press|
|March 2013||Ziggyology||A Brief History of Ziggy Stardust||Ebury Press|
|April 2014||Simply Thrilled||The Preposterous Story of Postcard Records||Ebury Press|
|August 2015||Rollaresque||(Or The Rakish Progress of The Rolling Stones)||Ebury Press|
- Goddard, Simon (17 August 2007). "I was dead - and I was resurrected". The Guardian (London). Retrieved 23 May 2010.
- Larman, Alexander (5 May 2013). "Ziggyology review". The Observer (London). Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- Paphides, Pete (24 April 2014). "Simply Thrilled review". Caught By The River (London). Retrieved 30 June 2015.
- "Simon Goddard biography". Jenny Brown Associates (Edinburgh). July 2015. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- Sheehan, Tom (26 May 2016). "Paul Weller Aim High". Flood Gallery (London). Retrieved 26 May 2016.