The Society (TV series)
|Created by||Christopher Keyser|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10 (list of episodes)|
|Running time||48–61 minutes|
|Picture format||4K (16:9 UHDTV in high dynamic range)|
|Audio format||Dolby Digital|
|Original release||May 10, 2019 –|
The Society follows the story of a "group of teenagers who struggle to survive after they're mysteriously transported to a facsimile of their hometown with no trace of their parents."
Cast and characters
- Kathryn Newton as Allie Pressman, Cassandra’s younger sister who grew up in her shadow.
- Gideon Adlon as Becca Gelb, Sam's best friend who is pregnant.
- Sean Berdy as Sam Eliot, Allie and Cassandra's cousin who is deaf.
- Natasha Liu Bordizzo as Helena, Luke's religious girlfriend.
- Jacques Colimon as Will LeClair, Allie’s best friend who grew up in foster care.
- Olivia DeJonge as Elle Tomkins, an outcast who becomes Campbell's girlfriend.
- Alex Fitzalan as Harry Bingham, the popular and wealthy son of the school principal.
- Kristine Froseth as Kelly Aldrich, Harry's ex-girlfriend.
- Jose Julian as Gordie, a smart kid who has a crush on Cassandra.
- Alexander MacNicoll as Luke, Helena's boyfriend and former quarterback.
- Toby Wallace as Campbell Eliot, Sam's older brother and Allie and Cassandra's cousin who exhibits psychopathic personality traits. He physically abuses Elle.
- Rachel Keller as Cassandra Pressman, Allie's older sister who is a natural leader.
- Jack Mulhern as Grizz, a former football player and Sam's love interest.
- Spencer House as Clark
- Emilio Garcia-Sanchez as Jason
- Salena Qureshi as Bean
- Olivia Nikkanen as Gwen
- Kiara Pichardo as Madison
- Grace Victoria Cox as Lexie
- Naomi Oliver as Olivia
- Kelly Rose Golden as Marnie
- Matisse Rose as Jessica
- Alicia Crowder as Erika
- Benjamin Breault as Blake
- Damon J. Gillespie as Mickey
- Peter Donahue as Shoe
- Seth Meriwether as Greg Dewey
- Madeline Logan as Gretchen
- Dante Rodrigues as Zane
- Amy Carlson as Amanda Pressman
- David Aaron Baker as Jim Pressman
- Michael Siberry as Rodgers Eliot
- Paul Anthony Stewart as Doug Eliot
- Anastasia Barzee as Karen
- Chaske Spencer as Mr. Pfeiffer
- Chloe Levine as Emily
- Ava Gaudet as Lynette Eliot
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||"What Happened"||Marc Webb||Christopher Keyser||May 10, 2019|
|When a mysterious and irritating smell permeates the town of West Ham, Connecticut, the Federal Government sends the high school students off on a 10-day camping trip while the problem is dealt with. After departing by bus, the students end up returning to town, being told that the road to the camp is blocked. However, they discover initially that everyone else in town has disappeared, and that while local phones and texting work, they are electronically cut off from the rest of the world. The next day, they further discover that all roads and exits from town are now blocked by a seemingly endless and dangerous forest. Some students use their newfound freedom to engage in a wild party, while others attempt to ascertain what has happened.|
|2||"Our Town"||Marc Webb||Christopher Keyser||May 10, 2019|
|3||"Childhood's End"||Tara Nicole Weyr||Rachel Sydney Alter||May 10, 2019|
|4||"Drop by Drop"||Stacie Passon||Emily Bensinger||May 10, 2019|
|5||"Putting on the Clothes"||Haifaa Al-Mansour||Anna Fishko & Christopher Keyser||May 10, 2019|
|6||"Like a F-ing God or Something"||Megan Griffiths||Christopher Keyser & Anna Fishko||May 10, 2019|
|7||"Allie's Rules"||Patricia Cardoso||Qui Nguyen||May 10, 2019|
|8||"Poison"||Rich Lee||Maile Meloy||May 10, 2019|
|9||"New Names"||Brett Simon||Anna Fishko||May 10, 2019|
|10||"How it Happens"||Marc Webb||Christopher Keyser||May 10, 2019|
In 2013, Christopher Keyser and Marc Webb pitched the show to Showtime, but the network later decided to pass on the series. On July 24, 2018, Netflix announced that it had given the production a series order. The series was created by Keyser, who will also act as writer, and executive producer, with Webb set to direct.
Alongside the initial series announcement, it was confirmed that Kathryn Newton had been cast as a series regular. In November 2018, Rachel Keller, Gideon Adlon, Jacques Colimon, Olivia DeJonge, Alex Fitzalan, Kristine Froseth, Jose Julian, Natasha Liu Bordizzo, Alex MacNicoll, Jack Mulhern, Salena Qureshi, Grace Victoria Cox, Sean Berdy, and Toby Wallace joined the cast.
The review aggregation website Rotten Tomatoes provides a 75% approval from 20 reviews, and an average rating of 7.25/10. The website's critical consensus states, "An intriguing tangle of mystery and melodrama, what The Society lacks in levity—and at times clarity—it makes up for with its surprisingly thoughtful exploration of community, culture, and what it means to grow up." On Metacritic, it has a weighted average score of 68 out of 100, based on 6 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- Keaney, Quinn (April 30, 2019). "Things Get Bad Very Quickly in the Chilling New Trailer For Netflix's The Society". Pop Sugar. Retrieved May 9, 2019.
- Yeates, Cydney (May 12, 2019). "The Society was originally axed by Showtime: Inside the history of Netflix's latest mystery series". Metro. Retrieved May 14, 2019.
- "Kathryn Newton To Star In Netflix Drama Series From Chris Keyser & Marc Webb". Deadline Hollywood. July 24, 2018.
- "Rachel Keller & Gideon Adlon Among 14 Cast In Chris Keyser & Marc Webb's Netflix YA Drama Series 'The Society'". Deadline Hollywood. November 28, 2018.
- Davies, Alex (May 10, 2019). "The Society on Netflix location: Where is The Society filmed? Where's it set?". Express. Retrieved May 10, 2019.
- "'The Society' Trailer: First Look At Chris Keyser & Marc Webb's Netflix YA Drama Series". Deadline Hollywood. April 4, 2019.
- "The Society: Season 1 (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved May 15, 2019.
- "The Society: Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved May 11, 2019.