The Son (2019 Argentine film)
The Son (Spanish: El Hijo) is a 2019 Argentine Spanish-language psychological thriller film directed by Sebastián Schindel and based on the 2013 novel Una madre protectora (English: A Protective Mother) by Guillermo Martínez with the adapted screenplay written by Leonel D’Agostino. The film was released in theaters on May 2, 2019. On July 26, 2019, the film was available to stream on Netflix in various countries.
The film follows the story of an artist and father, who increasingly becomes paranoid at his wife's actions during her pregnancy. As they attempt to navigate through their personal issues, a child birth occurs, pushing the couple towards a path of twisted motives and deadly consequences.
- Joaquín Furriel as Lorenzo Roy
- Martina Gusman as Julieta
- Luciano Cáceres as Renato
- Heidi Toini as Sigrid
- Regina Lamm as Gudrunn
The film has received favorable reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 82% based on 11 reviews with a weighted average of 6.21/10. The website's critics consensus reads: "In the deeply disturbing and suspenseful The Son, director Sebastian Schindel successfully portrays the horrors of paternity, carried by Joaquín Furriel's terrific performance." Jonathan Holland from The Hollywood Reporter mentioned in a positive review of the film, "Disturbing in the best sense of the word, though sometimes let down by attention to detail, the pic deserves at the least to be adopted by horror fests." Carlos Aguilar from Los Angeles Times praised the film, stating that it "maintains a determined stance not to show more than needed to keep one guessing, even if the symbolic references it tries to make and the social statements it may be carrying are left inconclusive."
- Hernández, Luis Alberto (July 29, 2018). "Mira el tráiler de 'El hijo', un prometedor thriller que está disponible en Netflix" [Watch the trailer for 'The Son', a promising thriller that is available on Netflix]. Cineoculto (in Spanish). Retrieved July 30, 2019.
- Martinez, Guillermo. "Bio and Publications [blog post]". Guillermo Martinez (blog). Retrieved January 5, 2020.
- Kay, Jeremy (January 28, 2019). "Netflix adds Julio Medem drama, Sebastian Schindel thriller to Netflix Originals slate (exclusive)". Screen Daily. Retrieved July 29, 2019.
- "The Son (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved August 16, 2020.
- Holland, Jonathan (May 29, 2019). "'The Son' ('El Hijo'): Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 30, 2019.
- Aguilar, Carlos (July 25, 2019). "Review: Argentine psychological thriller 'The Son' probes fears of fatherhood". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved July 30, 2019.