The Song Remembers When (song)
|"The Song Remembers When"|
|Single by Trisha Yearwood|
|from the album The Song Remembers When|
|B-side||"Oh Lonesome You"|
|Released||October 12, 1993|
|Trisha Yearwood singles chronology|
"The Song Remembers When" is a song written by Hugh Prestwood, and recorded by American country music singer Trisha Yearwood. It was released in October 1993 as the lead single and title track from her album The Song Remembers When. The song was later covered by Kristin Chenoweth for her 2005 album As I Am.
"The Song Remembers When" is a slow ballad written by Hugh Prestwood. It was originally recorded by Kathy Mattea but was dropped from her album in the final stages of production. It was then picked up by Trisha Yearwood, who recorded it as the title track of her third studio album.
The song is a testament to the way that music can instantly trigger a memory that was seemingly forgotten. The woman in the song is waiting for change at a counter when she hears a familiar song. Out of nowhere, she is suddenly reminded of a time when she and a former lover sang along to the song on the radio as they drove through the Rocky Mountains. She recalls that she tried many ways to rid herself of the memories of that failed romance, only to have them come rushing back in an instant when she hears a song attached to a moment in their time together:
- After driving out the memory of the way things might have been
- After I'd forgotten all about us
- The song remembers when
As the song progresses, the woman reveals that, although she can't remember why the relationship failed, the song can. In the end, it becomes a powerful statement that any forgotten memory can be brought back to life for anyone in the world through the power of music.
- Still, I guess some things we bury are just bound to rise again
- For even if the whole world has forgotten
- The song remembers when
Chart performance and music video
Yearwood was enjoying the success of a string of hit singles from her two prior albums, "Trisha Yearwood" and "Hearts in Armor." "The Song Remembers When" was released in late 1993 as a follow-up. The single became a major hit that year, peaking at #2 on the Billboard Country Singles Chart, and became her first single to chart on the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at #82. It also reached #4 on the RPM country charts in Canada. This song also won an Emmy for being featured in a one-hour musical special, Trisha Yearwood: The Song Remembers When, on the Disney Channel.
A music video was created using live footage from a televised concert Trisha did to promote the album.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||4|
|US Billboard Hot 100||82|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||2|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||99|
- Wolff, Kurt (2000). In Country Music: The Rough Guide. Orla Duane, Editor. London: Rough Guides Ltd. p. 548.
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 2352." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. January 10, 1994. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- "Trisha Yearwood – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Trisha Yearwood.
- "Trisha Yearwood – Chart history" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Trisha Yearwood.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1994". RPM. December 12, 1994. Retrieved August 4, 2013.