The Song and Dance Man
|The Song and Dance Man|
|Directed by||Herbert Brenon|
|Produced by||Adolph Zukor
|Screenplay by||Paul Schofield|
|Based on||The Song and Dance Man
by George M. Cohan
|Cinematography||James Wong Howe|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Language||Silent (English intertitles)|
The Song and Dance Man is a 1926 American silent film comedy-drama produced by Famous Players-Lasky and released through Paramount Pictures. It is based on a play by George M. Cohan and was directed by Herbert Brenon. A copy of the film is housed in the Library of Congress collection. It is missing reels 1 and 2, but reels 3–7 of the seven-reel film survive.
"Happy" Farrell (Moore) wants to be a famous song and dance man. He befriends a young dancer, Leola (Love), who accompanies him to an audition. Leola is given a contract, but Happy is not. Happy changes careers and becomes successful, but still yearns to be a song and dance man. After three years, Leola plans to retire from dancing so that she can get married, but Happy returns to pursue his original dream. Leola is inspired by this, and her fiancé agrees to let her continue her dancing career.
- Tom Moore as Happy Farrell
- Bessie Love as Leola Lane
- Harrison Ford as Joseph Murdock
- Norman Trevor as Charles Nelson
- Bobby Watson as Fred Carroll
- Josephine Drake as Jane Rosemond
- George Nash as Inspector Craig
- William B. Mack as Tom Crosby
- Helen Lindroth as Marsha Lane
- Jane Jennings as Ma Carroll
- "The Song and Dance Man". Silent Era. Retrieved November 9, 2014.
- The American Film Institute Catalog Feature Films: 1921–30 by The American Film Institute, c.1971
- The Song and Dance Man as produced on Broadway at the Hudson Theatre, December 31, 1923; IBDb.com
- Andersen, Arne. "The Lost Films of Paramount Pictures". Lost Film Files. Retrieved November 8, 2014.
- Catalog of Holdings The American Film Institute Collection and The United Artist Collection at The Library of Congress by The American Film Institute, p.170, c.1978
- "The Song and Dance Man / Herbert Brenon [motion picture]". Library of Congress – Performing Arts Encyclopedia. Retrieved November 9, 2014.
- "Newspaper Opinions". The Film Daily 35 (30): 8. February 5, 1926.
- "Stage and Screen". The Cornell Daily Sun XLVI (134): 4. 25 March 1926.
- The Song and Dance Man at the Internet Movie Database
- The Song and Dance Man at AllMovie
- Lobby poster