Irwin H. "Sonny" Bloch (March 1, 1937 - March 10, 1998) was a popular American financial talk radio show host from 1980 to 1995 who defrauded investors of more than $24 million. He died of cancer in 1998 at the age of 61.
Sonny Bloch was a lounge singer who dovetailed his career into a fifteen-year career as a financial talk radio host heard on over 170 stations in the U.S including WOR-AM and WMCA-AM in New York City.
Bloch, his son, and associates had allegedly been involved in a variety of investment fraud schemes.
One scheme sold interest in gold bars that were actually painted ordinary metal bars. Many of his investment recommendations caused his listeners to lose millions of dollars because the true financial viability of the schemes were improperly hidden from investors.
Another pivotal scheme for which Bloch was indicted involved the sale of unregistered shares over the radio, which is illegal.
Flight from prosecution
Incarceration and death
Bloch was captured and deported back to the U.S. in 1995. He pleaded guilty to seven counts of tax evasion and perjury. After serving two years in federal custody, Bloch was found to be in the advanced stages of cancer. He was allowed to return home and died in 1998.
- "Sonny Bloch profile at". Radioyears.com. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- "Sonny Bloch profile". Supersizeyourincome.com. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- Goldiner, Dave (1998-07-12). "Sonny Bloch, Radio Host Convicted In Scam, Dies". Articles.nydailynews.com. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- "Sonny Bloch's betrayal of trust: rip-off artists exploit legitimate media to build credibility and steal millions". Highbeam.com. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- "Bloch Admits Lying to Investors". Articles.latimes.com. 1996-09-19. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- "A Critical Review of Sonny Bloch". Programcritique.com. 2007-08-22. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- "Sonny Bloch Radio Show Host Charged with Fraud". Nytimes.com. 1995-05-26. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- Friday, May 26, 1995 (1995-05-26). "Exclusive . . . Bloch Captured". Time.com. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- "Irwin (Sonny) Bloch, 61, Dies; Bilked Radio Show Listeners". Nytimes.com. 1998-07-12. Retrieved 2011-10-17.