The Soul of Broadway
|The Soul of Broadway|
|Directed by||Herbert Brenon|
|Written by||Herbert Brenon (scenario)|
|Story by||Herbert Brenon|
|Distributed by||Fox Film Corporation|
|October 18, 1915
February 9, 1919
|Language||Silent (English intertitles)|
The Soul of Broadway was a 1915 American silent crime drama film produced and distributed by the Fox Film Corporation and directed by Herbert Brenon. Popular vaudeville performer Valeska Suratt starred in the film which was also her silent screen debut. The Soul of Broadway is now considered lost. It is one of many silent films that were destroyed in a fire at Fox's film storage facility in Little Ferry, New Jersey in July 1937.
As described in a film magazine, La Valencia (Suratt), a stage beauty, has ensnared a young man who steels in order to shower her with the luxuries that she demands. He is caught and, after serving a 5-year term, emerges from prison a gray haired man. La Valencia comes across him again, and her passion revives. She seeks to ensnare him again, but now he is married and his old life has no charms for him. Desperate, she then threatens to reveal his past to his wife, which leads to a terrific climax.
- Valeska Suratt - Grace Leonard, aka La Valencia
- William E. Shay - William Craig
- Mabel Allen - June Meredith
- Sheridan Block - Frederick Meredith
- George W. Middleton - Monty Wallace
- Jane Lee - Grace's Daughter
- Gertrude Berkeley - Stage Actress (*Gertrude Berkeley was the mother of Busby Berkeley)
- Progressive Silent Film List: The Soul of Broadway at silentera.com
- Slide, Anthony (2000). Nitrate Won't Wait: History of Film Preservation in the United States. McFarland. p. 13. ISBN 0-786-40836-7.
- "Advertising Aids for Busy Managers: The Soul of Broadway". Moving Picture World (New York City: Chalmers Publishing Company) 39 (5): 677. Feb 1, 1919. Retrieved 2014-07-18.
- The Soul of Broadway at the Internet Movie Database
- The Soul of Broadway at AllMovie
- surviving photo of Valeska Suratt and Jane Lee taken during the production
|This article about a crime drama film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a romantic drama film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|