The Spartan Poker
This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. (June 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Type of site
The Spartan Poker was founded as SpartanPoker.com in 2014. The site was launched in March 2015. The founders were Rajat Agarwal, Bal Krishan Agarwal, Amin Rozani, Rajeev Kanjani, Sameer Rattonsey and Peter Abraham, all of them with a poker industry background. Their intention was to create an Indian poker platform like PokerStars.
PokerGuru, India's most popular online poker media website ran two editions of its flagship PokerGuru Online League (PGOL) on SpartanPoker.com. and introduced the India Online Poker Championship on the site.
India Poker Championship (IPC), one of the oldest and biggest poker tournaments in India, ran its qualifying rounds on The Spartan Poker and introduced the India Online Poker Championship on the site.
The Spartan Poker offers a range of online gaming services to poker players. As of February 2017, the site hosted 20-25 live tournaments each day. It also hosts big tournaments such as The Millionaire or The Gutshot. The Spartan Super Series is a seven-days event which features 36 tournaments.
In February 2017, Rajat Agarwal one of the co-founders of Spartan Poker filed a civil suit at the High Court of Calcutta against Quadrific Media Pvt Ltd (company running Spartan Poker), Spartan Online Private Limited and its directors Sameer Rattonsey, Amin Rozani, Peter Abraham, Rohit Bhalla and Rajeev Kanjani, claiming trademark and shareholder rights in Spartan Poker, diversion of business and defalcation of funds. The Calcutta High Court by an order dated 13-11-2017 upheld the partnership claims of Rajat Agarwal and appointed a chartered accountancy firm to look into the accounts and prepare a report on the valuation of the business as on 25-02-2017. Quadrific Media Private Limited had also filed a complaint with World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) against Rajat Agarwal claiming right over the domain name www.SpartanPoker.com. The said complaint was denied by a three-member panel of WIPO vide order dated 31-08-2017.
The Spartan Poker won the Most Prestigious Brands Award by El Sol Research Trend & Consulting in 2017.
- Shaswati Shankar (4 November 2016). "India's poker startups industry worth $120 million slowly becoming a profit-making model". The Economic Times. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- Murali Menon (29 January 2017). "Here Come the High Rollers". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- "Ranvijay Singh parties with Spartan Poker owner Amin Rozani". The Hans India. 9 September 2016. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- "Spartan Poker launches today". Gutshot. 25 March 2015. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- "Spartan Poker signs Sangeeth Mohan as first Team Pro". Gutshot. 29 September 2015. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- PokerGuru Staff (12 April 2016). "PGOL Season 4 Breaks all Records With Over 2,200 Entries and 65.55 Lakhs in Prizes, Griboshin V Collects 7.5 Lakhs For Topping Main Event and PGOL Leaderboard". Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- "SpartanPoker.com Presents PokerGuru Online League (PGOL) Season 4 from Nov 15, 8-Day Series With Four Daily Tournaments and INR 10 Lakhs in Guaranteed Prizes". PokerGuru. 5 November 2015. Retrieved 14 October 2017.
- "IOPC returns on Spartan Poker from 20–24 July". India Poker Championship. 3 July 2016. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- Anirudh Vohra (10 September 2016). "When the chips are down". Sunday Guardian Live. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- Bindu D. Menon (22 February 2017). "Corporates set the ball rolling on investments in e-sports leagues". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- "Mega Tournaments at Spartan Poker". Gutshot. 20 August 2016. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- "Spartan Super Series 2018". TheSpartanPoker. Retrieved 1 June 2018.
- "Owners' spat puts India's Spartan Poker in legal jeopardy". Calvin Ayre. 16 January 2017. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "CS No 35 of 2017 Judgement dated 13-11-2017" (PDF). CalcuttaHC. 13 November 2017. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center". WIPO. 31 August 2017. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "The Spartan Poker Wins at ERTC's Prestigious Brands Awards - Gutshot". Poker Shots. 23 January 2017. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- "Kunal Kapoor all praises for Amin Rozanis contribution for Spartan Poker contribution to Ketto Foundation". Bollywood Helpline. 3 November 2016. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- "Dia Mirza And Kunal Kapoor Appreciate Amin Rozani Spartan Pokers Charitable Work". Business of Cinema. December 2016. Retrieved 18 March 2017.