Sporting News Reliever of the Year Award
The Sporting News Reliever of the Year Award was an annual award presented to the best relief pitcher in each league in Major League Baseball (MLB). It was established in 1960 by The Sporting News (TSN) as the Fireman of the Year Award. At the time, no reliever had ever received a Cy Young Award vote. The Fireman of the Year Award originally recognized the reliever with the most combined saves and wins in each league in MLB. The magazine had started publishing the then-unofficial save statistic that same year. Later, a save was worth two points compared to one for a save in determining the winner. In 2001 the award was chosen based on consensus from TSN editors, and it was renamed to Reliever of the Year Award. The award was last issued in 2010 before being discontinued.
Fireman of the Year Award winners
Reliever of the Year Award winners
- Sporting News Relief Pitcher of the Year Award
- Rolaids Relief Man of the Year Award (discontinued)
- MLB Mariano Rivera American League Reliever and Trevor Hoffman National League Reliever of the Year awards
- Cy Young Award
- Triple Crown (pitching)
- MLB Pitcher of the Month
- "Esurance MLB Awards" Best Pitcher (in MLB)
- "Players Choice Awards" Outstanding Pitcher
- SN Starting Pitcher of the Year
- Warren Spahn Award (best left-handed pitcher)
- Baseball awards
- List of Major League Baseball awards
- SN Player of the Year
- SN Rookie of the Year
- SN Comeback Player of the Year
- SN Manager of the Year
- SN Executive of the Year
- "Fireman of the Year Award / Reliever of the Year Award by The Sporting News". Baseball Almanac. Archived from the original on March 17, 2015.
- Dickson, Paul (2011). The Dickson Baseball Dictionary. W. W. Norton & Company. p. 699. ISBN 978-0-393-34008-2. Retrieved December 30, 2011.
- Gillette, Gary; Palmer, Peter (2008). The ESPN Baseball Encyclopedia, Fifth Edition. Sterling. p. 1809. ISBN 978-1-4027-6051-8.
- Zimniuch, Fran (2010). Fireman: The Evolution of the Closer in Baseball. Chicago: Triumph Books. p. 125. ISBN 978-1-60078-312-8.
- Holtzman, Jerome (May 2002). "Where did save rule come from? Baseball historian recalls how he helped develop statistic that measures reliever's effectiveness". Baseball Digest. Retrieved December 30, 2011.
- Dickson 2011, pp.322–3