Sporting News Rookie of the Year Award
The Sporting News Rookie of the Year Award is an annual Major League Baseball (MLB) award established in 1946 by Sporting News. In 1947–48, and again in 1950, there was a single award. In 1949 and since 1951, the award was given to a rookie from both the American League and National League. From 1963 through 2003, Sporting News split the rookie award into two separate categories, Rookie Pitcher of the Year and Rookie Player of the Year. In 2004 those two awards were discontinued, in favor of a single award, one for each league.
Below is a list of winners by year, name, team, league, and position.
- Del Ennis (Philadelphia NL, OF)
- Jackie Robinson (Brooklyn NL, 1B)
- Richie Ashburn (Philadelphia NL, OF)
- Jackie Robinson Rookie of the Year Award (MLB)
- MLB Rookie of the Month Award
- This Year in Baseball Awards (including Rookie)
- Players Choice Awards (including Outstanding Rookie)
- Baseball America Rookie of the Year
- Baseball awards#United States
- List of MLB awards
- TSN Player of the Year
- TSN Pitcher of the Year
- TSN Reliever of the Year
- TSN Comeback Player of the Year
- TSN Manager of the Year
- TSN Executive of the Year
- "Rookie of the Year Award by The Sporting News on Baseball Almanac". Baseball-almanac.com. Retrieved January 30, 2013.
- "Abreu starts collection of rookie honors". ESPN.com. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- "Sporting News names Mets' deGrom top rookie". New York Post. October 21, 2014. Retrieved October 21, 2014.