The Stag (film)
|Directed by||John Butler|
|Written by||John Butler
A stag weekend in the great outdoors in the west of Ireland takes some unexpected detours.
Arrow Films' synopsis of The Stag is as follows: "Self-confessed metrosexual Fionnán doesn't want a stag do, but would happily attend the Hen. Ruth, the now concerned bride-to-be (Amy Huberman), promptly persuades the, marginally more-macho, best man (Andrew Scott) to organise one. Reluctantly, he agrees but proceeds to do everything he can to stop Ruth's wildly infamous brother, known only as The Machine (Peter McDonald), coming along for their sober, walking-weekend, excuse for a stag party. But The Machine, not so easily foxed, tracks them down, and what follows is a hilarious few days in rural Ireland where the Stags find themselves lost, shot at, stoned and butt-naked. The Stag is a hilarious and heart-warming journey of friendship, fear, male bonding, and tightly fashioned squirrel skin!"
- Andrew Scott as Davin
- Hugh O'Conor as Fionnán
- Peter McDonald as The Machine (Richard)
- Brian Gleeson as Simon
- Andrew Bennett as Enormous Kevin
- Michael Legge as Little Kevin
- Amy Huberman as Ruth
After being included in the line-up at the Toronto International Film Festival in September 2013, the film was released in Ireland on 7 March 2014 and 14 March in the UK. It received its US première at the 2014 Tribeca Film Festival in April. For the US release the film was retitled The Bachelor Weekend.
Mark Kermode gave the film 3/5 stars.
Ryan McNeil described it as 'an unexpected gem' with 'some of the most honest performances you're likely to see, and more brains, heart, and courage than any Hollywood comedy dare put forward.'
- Bazley, Lewis (5 March 2014). "Review: The Stag". Shadowlocked. Archived from the original on 6 March 2014. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "The Stag". Arrow Films. 2014. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- Brown, Todd (13 September 2013). "TIFF 2013 Review: THE STAG Works Its Comedy Formula To Perfection". Twitch. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "US premiere for Irish comedy The Stag". RTÉ Ten. 5 March 2014. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- "The Bachelor Weekend (The Stag)". Rotten Tomatoes. 2014. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- Kermode, Mark (16 March 2014). "The Stag review – 'good-hearted Irish comedy'". The Guardian. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- McNeil, Ryan (15 September 2013). "THE STAG plays TIFF 2013". The Matinee. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- McBride, Caitlin (27 February 2014). "Irish superstars lead this year's IFTA nominations". Irish Independent. Retrieved 27 February 2014.