The Sting (Gabriella Cilmi album)
|Studio album by Gabriella Cilmi|
|Released||8 November 2013|
|Genre||Alternative pop, trip hop, soul|
|Gabriella Cilmi chronology|
|Singles from The Sting|
The writing process of The Sting has lasted over three years. Cilmi had begun work on it by October 2010, mere months after the release of her second album, Ten. Teasing some information about lyrics, several ideas and feelings, she spoke on her work, saying, "It's totally exciting because I am spending a bit more time with this record. I want to see what works. I really love Dolly Parton, roots music, Tricky and Enya, so anything could happen."
On 18 January 2012, Cilmi debuted a Sam Wrench-directed video for an "acoustic-ish" version of "Vicious Love", the first song she wrote for the album. Cilmi explained, "If you've ever experienced any type of 'Vicious Love' you will know that sometimes despite all the arrows pointing to a dead end there is just no way out, there is no way back. But then again don't all roads lead to dead ends? [...] Guess we should just enjoy the ride..."
Gabriella began writing and recording with members of her live band. "I was searching for a sound that reflected the way I felt inside, which was quite vulnerable, and traumatised. I wanted it to sound the way Italian neo-realist photographs look, that post-war, ruined glamour which is really gritty and heart-breaking. I was listening to a lot of Trip Hop, that 90s Bristol sound, Portishead and Tricky. But also singer-songwriters I had always loved, Neil Young, John Martyn. And old soul records, Bessie Smith, Otis Redding. It all went in there." In an interview with Billboard about the process of making 'The Sting', Gabriella stated, "The whole idea of 'The Sting' came as an aftermath to breaking-up with my label, and management and boyfriend at the time. The lyrics side of things were influenced by what I was going through. It was all a bit of a sting. But nothing killed me." 
A black-and-white music video for "Sweeter in History", filmed in the Italian towns of Valvori and Cassino, was released on 14 March 2013. On 26 March, the track was offered as a free download for a limited time.
"The Sting" was released on 1 September 2013 as the album's official lead single, for which a music video was also directed by Wrench.
"Vicious Love" was released on 23rd October 2013 as the third exctract from The Sting. It was released as a promotional single, for free with the pre-sale of the record. An acoustic music video was released in 2012.
|1.||"Highway"||Gabriella Cilmi, Eliot James, Adrian Thaws||James||3:40|
|2.||"Symmetry"||Cilmi, Tom Fuller||James||3:51|
|3.||"Sweeter in History"||Cilmi, Fuller||James||3:22|
|4.||"Don't Look Back"||Cilmi, James||James||3:47|
|5.||"Not Sorry"||Cilmi, James, Joseph Cilmi||James||3:52|
|6.||"Left with Someone Else"||Cilmi, Benjamin Weaver||James||3:17|
|7.||"The Sting"||Cilmi, James, Weaver||James||3:25|
|8.||"Vicious Love"||Cilmi, Adam Coney, Harry Broadbent, Bongani Bhebhe||James||3:45|
|9.||"Every Memory"||Cilmi, Jony Rockstar||James||3:01|
|10.||"I Am Just a Girl"||Cilmi, Ryan Laubscher||James||3:43|
|11.||"Parallel Universe"||Cilmi, Coney, Broadbent, Bhebhe||James||3:49|
|12.||"Kill Ourselves"||Cilmi, Weaver||James||3:24|
|13.||"Deep Water" (hidden track)||Cilmi, James||James||2:27|
|Ireland||8 November 2013||CD, digital download||Sweetness Tunes|
|Australia||11 November 2013||Digital download|
|United Kingdom||CD, digital download|
|United States||Digital download|
- Hart, Tina (2 August 2013). "Gabriella Cilmi partners with Absolute for independent release of new album". Music Week. Intent Media. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- Lyons, Beverley (14 October 2010). "Scots singers have more integrity, claims Aussie star Gabriella Cilmi". Daily Record. Trinity Mirror. Archived from the original on 7 November 2013. Retrieved 28 March 2012.
- Cilmi, Gabriella (22 January 2012). "Vicious love". Tumblr. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- Kitchener, Shaun (21 January 2012). "VIDEO: Gabriella Cilmi Debuts New Song 'Vicious Love'". Entertainmentwise. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- Larkin, Darrell (2013). "Gabriella Cilmi". IDOL Magazine. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- "Gabriella Cilmi Announces New Single 'Symmetry' November 11th 2013 [Listen]". Contactmusic.com. 16 October 2013. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- Gabriella Cilmi Takes the Indie Route on 'The Sting' Billboard. 20 December 2013.
- Creighton, Keith (26 March 2013). "Gabriella Cilmi Rocks New Look + Sound in 'Sweeter in History' Video". PopCrush. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- Torresi, Marziano (18 March 2013). "Gabriella Cilmi – Sweeter in history – Video ufficiale" (in Italian). Musickr. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- "Gabriella Cilmi – Sweeter In History". YouTube. 14 March 2013. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- "The Sting – Single by Gabriella Cilmi". iTunes Store UK. Apple. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- "Symmetry – Single by Gabriella Cilmi". iTunes Store UK. Apple. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- Copsey, Robert (17 September 2013). "Gabriella Cilmi unveils other-worldly 'Symmetry' music video". Digital Spy. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- "The Sting by Gabriella Cilmi". iTunes Store Ireland. Apple. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- "The Sting by Gabriella Cilmi". iTunes Store Australia. Apple. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- "The Sting by Gabriella Cilmi". iTunes Store France. Apple. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- "The Sting by Gabriella Cilmi". iTunes Store Italy. Apple. Retrieved 7 November 2013.
- "The Sting". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- "The Sting by Gabriella Cilmi". iTunes Store UK. Apple. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- "The Sting by Gabriella Cilmi". iTunes Store US. Apple. Retrieved 7 November 2013.