The Storm Makers
|The Storm Makers|
The Storm Makers poster
|Directed by||Guillaume Suon|
|Music by||Marc Marder|
|Edited by||Barbara Bossuet|
The Storm Makers is a 2014 documentary film directed by Guillaume Suon about human trafficking in Cambodia. The term "Storm Makers" refers to the traffickers and the damage they inflict on villages and families. One such trafficker shown in the film claims he has sold more than 500 Cambodian girls, some as young as 14.
The film premiered at the 2014 Busan International Film Festival (BIFF) and won the Mecenat Award for Best Asian Documentary Film.
The Storm Makers was produced in association with ARTE FRANCE - La Lucarne and POV, with the support of Centre national du cinéma et de l'image animée, Région Midi-Pyrénées, Fonds francophone de production audiovisuelle du Sud, Gucci Tribeca Documentary Fund, Sundance Institute Documentary Film Program, IDFA Bertha Fund, Worldview, Busan International Film Festival (AND), Cambodia Film Commission and Bophana Audiovisual Resource Center.
The Storm Makers is distributed by CAT&Docs.
- Mecenat Award for Best Asian Documentary Film 2014 at the Busan International Film Festival (BIFF) 2014
- Inspiration Award at the Full Frame Documentary Film Festival 2015 (Durham, U.S.A.)
- “Windows on the World” Prize for the Best Feature Film at Milan’s Festival of African, Asian and Latin American Cinema 2015
- Special Mention Award at the Salaya International Documentary Film Festival 2015 (Thailand)
- "The Storm Makers". The Storm Makers page on CAT&Docs website.
- "BIFF 2014 Awards". BIFF website.
- "Full Frame Documentary Film Festival Announces 2015 Award Winners". Full Frame Documentary Film Festival website, April 12, 2015.
- "Awards of the 25° Festival del Cinema Africano, d’Asia e America Latina". Milan’s Festival of African, Asian and Latin American Cinema website, May 9, 2015.
- "At home in our Asean community". Nation multimedia, March 31, 2015.