The Story (song)
|Single by Brandi Carlile|
|from the album The Story|
|Brandi Carlile singles chronology|
"The Story" is a song released as a single by American folk rock singer Brandi Carlile, written by Phil Hanseroth, from her 2007 album The Story. It was featured in Grey's Anatomy in 2007 and is on Grey's Anatomy Soundtrack album 3 (released September 11).
Composition and recording
Release and promotion
"The Story" was released as a single in 2007. It was iTunes' Download of the Week in March 2007. Carlile has performed the song live on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Late Night with Conan O'Brien and The Early Show.
Along with other songs by Carlile, "The Story" received exposure to a wider audience by being played on the soundtrack to medical drama series Grey's Anatomy. The song, and parts of the video, appeared in 2007 in a special recap episode titled "Every Moment Counts". The song was also used in a General Motors commercial that aired during television coverage of the 2008 Summer Olympics. "The Story" has become the most popular song from Carlile's album.
Chart performance and reception
In the United States Brandi Carlile's "The Story" reached No. 75 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, as well as No. 35 on the Adult Pop Songs chart and No. 48 on the Digital Songs chart. The song peaked at No. 44 on the Australian ARIA Singles Chart, No. 3 on the Norwegian VG-lista chart, No. 16 on the Swiss singles chart and No. 38 on the Ö3 Austria Top 40 chart.
Tom Scanlon of The Seattle Times describes a live performance of "The Story" as "stunning" and "spine-chilling". He notes the transition within the song between acoustic pop-rock and "scream-singing" that resembles Janis Joplin. A writer for Indianapolis Monthly also draws a comparison between Carlile's vocals and those of Joplin.
- Brandi Carlile version
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||38|
|Brazilian Singles Chart (ABPD)||57|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||16|
|US Billboard Hot 100||75|
|US Adult Pop Songs (Billboard)||35|
- Sara Ramirez version
|Song||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"The Story"||2011||69||2||[A]||72||94||34||Sara Ramirez|
- "The Story" did not enter the Austrian chart (Ö3 Austria Top 40), but peaked at No. 7 on the Austria Digital Songs chart.
Sara Ramirez version
|Song by Sara Ramirez|
|from the album Grey's Anatomy: The Music Event|
|Released||March 31, 2011|
In 2011, "The Story" was again featured in an episode of Grey's Anatomy. The series 7 episode "Song Beneath the Song" was a special musical episode that included renditions of popular songs performed by the show's characters. In the episode Sara Ramirez, in the role of Callie Torres, sings "The Story". Ramirez' version of the song was included as a track on her 2011 extended play, Sara Ramirez and the 2011 album Grey's Anatomy: The Music Event.
LeAnn Rimes version
Country music artist LeAnn Rimes released a cover version of the song on 24 June 2016 in the UK as the first single from her thirteenth studio album Remnants and her first release after signing with RCA UK. Rimes promoted the track with live performances on BBC One's The One Show and at London nightclub Heaven, but the track failed to enter any commercial charts in the UK.
Rimes has indicated that she feels a strong connection with the track. In an interview with Billboard, she said "I fully embrace the journey I am on and have a deeper understanding of how every piece of my story serves a purpose in my evolution as a woman and an artist,This song is not only a love song but a song of self-acceptance and appreciation for life."
- Chinen, Nate (April 30, 2007), "A Little Bit of Country Infuses a Pop Instinct", The New York Times, The New York Times Company, retrieved September 10, 2011
- Visakowitz, Susan (May 5, 2007), "Being Brandi Carlile", Billboard, Prometheus Global Media, p. 34
- Scanlon, Tom (March 30, 2007), "Singer Carlile Releasing the Story Within", The Seattle Times, The Seattle Times Company, retrieved September 10, 2011
- Peters, Mitchell (August 30, 2008), "Going For the Gold", Billboard, Prometheus Global Media, p. 10
- "The Story — Brandi Carlile", Allmusic, Rovi Corporation, retrieved September 2011 Check date values in:
- "Brandi Carlile — The Story (Song)", Australian charts portal, Hung Medien, retrieved September 10, 2011
- "Brandi Carlile — The Story (Song)", Norwegian charts portal, Hung Medien, retrieved September 10, 2011
- "Brandi Carlile — The Story (Song)", Swiss charts portal, Hung Medien, retrieved September 10, 2011
- "Brandi Carlile — The Story (Song)", Austrian charts portal, Hung Medien, retrieved September 10, 2011
- "Story Hour", Indianapolis Monthly, Emmis Communications, p. 168, October 2007
- "Australian-charts.com – Brandi Carlile – The Story". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Brandi Carlile – The Story" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Brazil" (PDF). ABPD. October 6, 2001. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Brandi Carlile – The Story". VG-lista.
- "Swisscharts.com – Brandi Carlile – The Story". Swiss Singles Chart.
- Caulfield, Keith; Trust, Gary (April 7, 2011). "Chart Moves: Katy Perry, Rihanna, Elton John, Lil Wayne, Celtic Thunder". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved April 8, 2011.
- "Canadian Hot 100: Week of April 16, 2010 (Biggest Jump)". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved April 8, 2011.
- "Irish Music Charts Archive: Top 50 Singles, Week Ending 7 April 2011". Chart-Track. GfK. April 7, 2011. Retrieved April 8, 2011.
- Abrams, Natalie (March 28, 2011), "Everything You Need to Know About the Grey's Anatomy Musical Episode", TV Guide, retrieved September 10, 2011
- "LeAnn Rimes Announces New Single On RCA UK, 'The Story'". Retrieved 2016-08-12.
- "LeAnn Rimes - The Story (Official Video)". YouTube. 2016-08-09. Retrieved 2017-03-24.