The Strange Boys
|The Strange Boys|
Strange Boys live at FYF Fest in Los Angeles, 2009
|Origin||Dallas, Texas/Austin, Texas
United States United States
|Genres||Indie rock, Southern rock, Country rock, Garage rock, Blues|
|Years active||2001 to Present|
|Labels||Dusty Medical Records, In The Red (US), Rough Trade (UK)|
|Associated acts||Mika Miko, Darker My Love|
Mike La Franchi
Jenna E. Thornhill DeWitt
|Past members||Matt Hammer
The Strange Boys are an American rock band based in Austin, Texas, composed of Ryan Sambol (guitar, lead vocals, harmonica), Philip Sambol (bass), Greg Enlow (guitar), Mike La Franchi (drums), Jenna E. Thornhill DeWitt (saxophone, backing vocals), and Tim Presley (backing vocals). Their music incorporates stylistic elements of garage rock, punk, R&B and country music.
The Strange Boys were formed by Dallas 8th graders Ryan Sambol and Matt Hammer in 2001. Originally a punk duo, they expanded to a trio when Ryan's brother Philip returned to Dallas from college in 2003.
In late 2009 the band underwent some line-up changes, with drummer and founding member Matt Hammer being replaced by Seth Densham, originally of Mika Miko (who disbanded in October, 2009). Jenna Thornhill-DeWitt, also a former member of Mika Miko, was added as saxophonist and backing vocalist, and Tim Presley, of Darker My Love, also joined to contribute backing vocals. Seth left the group and Mikey La Franchi joined on drums.
Around the same time, the new line-up signed a deal with UK record label Rough Trade to distribute their material outside of the US, and also announced details of their second album, Be Brave, which was released on February 22, 2010 (UK) and February 23, 2010 (US). The album was preceded by a single release of the title track, 'Be Brave' on January 25 (UK) and January 26 (US). This track is used in a 2012 Dell commercial.
The band released their third album, Live Music (Live pronounced [lɪv], rhyming with give), exclusively on Rough Trade in October, 2011.
According to singer Ryan Sambol, the Strange Boys played their last show in July 2012 in Canada.
- Nothing EP (Dusty Medical Records, 2007)
- Isn't It Pretty To Think So 7" (In The Red Records, 2008)
- The Strange Boys and Girls Club (In The Red, 2009)
- Be Brave 7" (In The Red/Rough Trade, 2010)
- Be Brave LP (In The Red/Rough Trade, 2010)
- Live Music LP (Rough Trade, 2011)
- "In The Red Records". In The Red Records. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- Published at 8:00 AM on May 13, 2009 By Austin L. Ray (2009-05-13). "Getting to Know... The Strange Boys :: Music :: Features :: Paste". Pastemagazine.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "Album Review: The Strange Boys - Be Brave | Prefix". Prefixmag.com. Retrieved 2012-09-17.
- "Ask SAM," Winston-Salem Journal, August 21, 2012, p. A2.