The Stranger (British TV series)
|Created by||Harlan Coben|
|Based on||The Stranger|
by Harlan Coben
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of episodes||8|
|Running time||42–51 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Red Production Company|
|Original release||30 January 2020|
The Stranger is a British mystery thriller miniseries based on the Harlan Coben novel of the same title. The miniseries premiered on Netflix on 30 January 2020. Richard Armitage, Siobhan Finneran, and Jennifer Saunders star.
A mysterious stranger tells a man a secret that has a devastating impact on his perfect life.
- Richard Armitage as Adam Price
- Siobhan Finneran as DS Johanna Griffin
- Jennifer Saunders as Heidi Doyle
- Shaun Dooley as Doug Tripp
- Paul Kaye as Patrick Katz
- Dervla Kirwan as Corrine Price
- Kadiff Kirwan as DC Wesley Ross
- Jacob Dudman as Thomas Price
- Ella-Rae Smith as Daisy Hoy
- Brandon Fellows as Mike Tripp
- Misha Handley as Ryan Price
- Anthony Head as Edgar Price
- Hannah John-Kamen as The Stranger
- Stephen Rea as Martin Killane
- Kai Alexander as Dante Gunnarsson
- Tamica Greenaway as DC Marisa Desford
- Lily Loveless as Ingrid Prisby
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original release date|
|1||"Episode 1"||Daniel O'Hara||Danny Brocklehurst||30 January 2020|
|Family man Adam Price is approached by a woman at his son’s football match who tells him that his wife Corinne faked her pregnancy. She also tells him to get his two children DNA tested. Meanwhile, his son Thomas goes out to a party with his friends Mike and Daisy. Adam goes home and checks his bank statements for the company “Novelty Funsy”, something the stranger told him to look for. Ringing the bank when he’s unable to find out what the company is. When a decapitated alpaca is found in the morning, the police drive out to a nearby farm and talk to the farmer about her missing animal. On the way back however, they see something suspicious in the woods and investigate, finding Dante, a friend of Tom’s, lying unconscious on the ground. The bank sends Adam a list of potential websites that Novelty Funsy acts as a umbrella for, and he sees that one is a fake pregnancy website, prompting him to ask Corinne about her lies. She admits it, but doesn’t tell him why, stating that she’ll speak to him after a school event later that evening. However when Corinne doesn’t show up, it’s clear that nobody actually knows where she is.|
|2||"Episode 2"||Daniel O'Hara||Mick Ford||30 January 2020|
|3||"Episode 3"||Daniel O'Hara||Karla Crome||30 January 2020|
|4||"Episode 4"||Hannah Quinn||Danny Brocklehurst||30 January 2020|
|5||"Episode 5"||Hannah Quinn||Charlotte Coben||30 January 2020|
|6||"Episode 6"||Hannah Quinn||Mick Ford||30 January 2020|
|7||"Episode 7"||Daniel O'Hara||Danny Brocklehurst||30 January 2020|
|8||"Episode 8"||Daniel O'Hara||Danny Brocklehurst||30 January 2020|
It was announced in January 2019 that Netflix had begun development of a miniseries based on the Harlan Coben novel, with the adaptation being written by Danny Brocklehurst and with Richard Armitage set to star. By March, the cast was rounded out, with the additions including Siobhan Finneran, Hannah John-Kamen, Jennifer Saunders, Anthony Head and Stephen Rea.
The review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported an 91% approval rating for the miniseries with an average rating of 6.25/10, based on 11 reviews. The website's critical consensus states, "If not quite as addicting as its source material, The Stranger has a strong cast and enough tension to keep viewers on the edge of their seats." On Metacritic, it has a weighted average score of 62 out of 100, based on 5 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
- White, Peter (January 28, 2019). "Richard Armitage To Star In Netflix Thriller 'The Stranger' With Harlan Coben & 'Safe' Team". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on November 17, 2019. Retrieved December 21, 2019.
- White, Peter (March 5, 2019). "'Happy Valley's Siobhan Finneran & 'Ready Player One's Hannah John-Kamen Join Netflix's 'The Stranger'". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on December 18, 2019. Retrieved January 30, 2020.
- Griffin, Susan (March 6, 2019). "Filming starts in Manchester on new Netflix drama The Stranger". ilovemanchester. Retrieved January 30, 2020.
- Molloy, Tom (April 11, 2019). "Upcoming Netflix series The Stranger filming in Bolton". The Bolton News. Archived from the original on September 29, 2019. Retrieved January 30, 2020.
- "New Netflix Drama 'The Stranger' will be Filming in Stockport Tomorrow". Edward Mellor Estate Agents Ltd. June 27, 2019. Archived from the original on September 29, 2019. Retrieved January 30, 2020.
- "The Stranger: Season 1 (2020)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved February 5, 2020.
- "The Stranger: Season 1". Metacritic. Retrieved February 2, 2020.