The Summer Set
||This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (August 2011)|
|The Summer Set|
The Summer Set performing during the Wonders of the Younger Tour in 2011
|Genres||Pop rock, alternative rock, pop punk, power pop, acoustic rock, pop|
|Labels||The Militia Group (2007–2009)
Razor & Tie (2009–2012)
Fearless Records (2012-present)
|Associated acts||The Maine, All Time Low, Paradise Fears, Action Item, Simple Plan|
|Members||Brian Logan Dales
|Past members||Dillon Morris|
The Summer Set is an American pop rock band from Scottsdale, Arizona. The band consists of Jessica Bowen (drums), Brian Logan Dales (lead vocals), John Gomez (guitar, piano, backing vocals), Stephen Gomez (bass, backing vocals), and Joshua Montgomery (guitar, backing vocals).
Formation and the Early Years
The Summer Set formed in 2007 when Jess Bowen and brothers John and Stephen Gomez started writing and performing with Brian Logan Dales. Josh Montgomery later joined the band in 2008.
Prior to the formation of The Summer Set, Jess, John, and Stephen played in a band called Last Call For Camden with Kennedy Brock (The Maine (band)) and guitarist Weston Michl. LCFC released one album entitled Keep Your Feet On the Ground before disbanding.
The Summer Set self-released their first EP Love The Love You Have in November 2007.
The band signed a record deal with The Militia Group in April 2008. The band then recorded their EP entitled …In Color. The EP was released on iTunes on June 24, 2008 and was reviewed on several music websites.
In December 2008, the band released their third EP Meet Me on the Left Coast, which featured two new tracks and a cover of "Love in This Club" as an iTunes bonus track.
The Summer Set's debut full-length album Love Like This was released on October 13, 2009.
On July 6, 2010, they released an expanded version of their debut album Love Like This titled Love Like Swift, which featured five live Taylor Swift cover songs (recorded at The Hoodwink at the 2010 Bamboozle Festival).
On the April 5, 2011 episode of Dancing with the Stars, actress Chelsea Kane and partner Mark Ballas danced a Cha-Cha-Cha set to The Summer Set's "Chelsea". In a behind-the-scenes package shown prior to the dance, Kane revealed that the song was written for her by Brian Dales, whom she was dating at the time.
Everything's Fine is The Summer Set's second full length album, released on July 19, 2011 through Razor & Tie.
The group wrote with Paul Doucette of Matchbox 20 and Mike Daly of Whiskeytown in Nashville. They recorded the album with producer John Fields. “He pushed us hard and he brought so much out of us,” said Brian Logan Dales. “We had some early demos that sounded like our last record, but when we were done, everything sounded so new and different.”
Everything’s Fine presented a departure from The Summer Set’s previous sound, at times featuring slower tempos and solemn themes. “The title is a bit sarcastic,” admits Gomez. “Our first record was just one emotion. Everything’s Fine is yin and yang. We’ve had some ups and downs recently, some breakups, some general trials and tribulations. This is a record that says we’re young, but growing up and experiencing new things." 
On June 6, The Summer Set launched a poll asking fans to pick the next song to be revealed from the forthcoming album. Song choices included "Thick As Thieves", "Back To Start" and "When We Were Young." After one week of voting, "When We Were Young" was revealed as the winner.
In 2012, the band members rented a house together where they wrote songs and began forming the album that would become Legendary. This style of communal living and writing was unique to the band and had a distinct influence on the direction of the songs. The band has stated that their time in the house inspired much of the lyrical content and sparked the general fun-loving energy of the album.
On April 30, 2013, The Summer Set released a music video for “Maybe Tonight.” This was the first video released in connection with Legendary.
In conjunction with the “Maybe Tonight” video and the band’s call to fans to “be legendary,” The Summer Set also created Half Moon Kids. HMK is a community forum created to share, discuss, encourage, and support the creative efforts of The Summer Set’s fans and their surrounding community.
As part of the HMK initiative, the band launched the Legendary Moments Campaign. During the campaign, The Summer Set helped various fans and their fellow band members achieve longstanding goals and dreams.
The Summer Set released their third full-length album Legendary on April 16, 2013 via Fearless Records. The lead single “Boomerang” was released in March and the accompanying music video was released in June. The second single is “Lightning in a Bottle.” The associated music video was released on April 8, 2014.
In 2013, The Summer Set were the winners of Macy’s iHeartRadio Rising Star competition. After the contest’s six million online votes were tallied, The Summer Set were announced 2013’s Rising Stars. As the winners, the band performed at the iHeartRadio Music Festival as well as Macy’s Glamorama events. At these events, they shared the stage with Sheryl Crow and The Backstreet Boys.
On November 28, 2013, The Summer Set were part of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. Their performance of “Lightning in a Bottle” was featured on the television broadcast.
In 2009, the band opened up Alternative Press's AP Tour, hitting the road with bands such as The Cab, Never Shout Never, Hey Monday and Every Avenue. Following the AP Tour, the band headed out on the road with Cartel. In 2010, the band went on to play several festivals including The Bamboozle festival and the Vans Warped Tour. The band participated in the free OurZone Magazine Tour, which was seven dates in the UK during May 2011. They were also part of the Dirty Work Tour including All Time Low, Yellowcard and Hey Monday. The tour began in March 2011 and ran through May 2011, covering most of the US. In 2013, the Summer Set performed on the Vans Warped Tour 2013 on the Kia Forte Stage and Tilly's Stage.
In 2014, The Summer Set will be hitting the road in the UK with Paradise Fears and William Beckett (Formerly The Academy Is.. frontman) on a string of dates after touring with We Are The In Crowd, Sleeping With Sirens and Mayday Parade in recent years in Europe. The Summer Set also just completed an acoustic tour for Legendary in the United States. After Europe The Summer Set will be participating in the Vans Warped Tour for the second year in a row.
- Brian Logan Dales - lead vocals (2007–present)
- Jess Bowen – drums (2007–present)
- John Gomez – guitar, piano, backing vocals (2007–present)
- Josh Montgomery – guitar (2008–present)
- Stephen James Gomez - bass guitar (2007–present)
- Dillon Morris (2007)
- Studio albums
- Love Like This (Razor & Tie, October 13, 2009)/Love Like Swift (Razor & Tie, July 6, 2010)
- Everything's Fine, (Razor & Tie, July 19, 2011)
- Legendary, (Fearless Records, April 16, 2013)
- TBA (Fearless Records 2015)
- Extended plays
- Love The Love You Have EP (Self released, November 30, 2007)
- ...In Color EP (The Militia Group, June 24, 2008)
- Meet Me On The Left Coast EP (The Militia Group, December 12, 2008)
- What Money Can't Buy EP, (Self released, November 28, 2011)
- Moss, Marissa (March 3, 2009). "AP recommends... The Summer Set", Alternative Press. Retrieved on June 20, 2009.
- (June 1, 2008). "HS students graduate early for dream jobs", Tucson Citizen. Retrieved on June 20, 2009.
- "The Summer Set – …In Color at Wonka Vision Reviews". Wonkavisionmagazine.com. October 23, 2008. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- "Summer Set, The - ...In Color - Album Review". AbsolutePunk.net. September 30, 2008. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- "…In Color by The Summer Set on Die Shellsuit, Die! - The Number One Online Music Magazine and Community". Dieshellsuit.co.uk. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- "The Summer Set's Taylor Swift Re-Release - News Article". AbsolutePunk.net. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- nadine cheung (April 5, 2011). "The Summer Set Open Up About 'Chelsea' (Kane)". Jsyk.com. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- "Sneak Attack Media". Sneak Attack Media. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- "The Summer Set - Someone Like You (Fan Video)". YouTube. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- "Help The Summer Set Choose Their Next Single". Cambio. June 6, 2011. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- "THE SUMMER SET AP Tour 2010 Dates (Presale Today)". The Audio Perv. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- "This Providence supports Cartel Tour | News". Indie Vision Music. August 10, 2009. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- "The Summer Set | Warped Tour 2010". Substream Music Press. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- "The Summer Set confirm free UK headlining tour" Alt Press. Mar 5, 2011. Last accessed Mar 11, 2011.
- ""The Dirty Work" Tour Dates Announced; Featuring All Time Low, Yellowcard & Hey Monday". Theywillrockyou.com. December 12, 2010. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- The Summer Set official site